Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably running lean - going to install PC - idle adjust first? 2000 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Probably running lean - going to install PC - idle adjust first? 2000 Road King

OK. Traded a guy for this 2000 Road King. It's got some miles on it, but it's damn clean and fun to ride.

Runs great except for moderate decel pop and occasional but rare "cough" through the A/C when first starting down the road.

Guy I got it from put an SE intake, SE 204 cam and Samson Rolled Thunder slip-ons and never got it re-mapped

I understand that it is now most likely running way too lean, and that the cough and pop I mentioned are symptoms of a lean condition, but it really doesn't seem to be running that lean. It pulls hard through all gears, consistently. I don't notice any power drop, and so far I've only heard pinging once on a really hot day during a 5th gear roll-on to pass someone. I laid off after that and kept it at moderate RPMs and easy throttle.

OH, I will also sometimes hear a little pinging on initial throttle but again only for a moment...

I was reading another post here and a guy said "if you change your pipes you're fine, but if you change your A/C you're going to ruin your engine."

Is it really that drastic? I know these run lean from the factory, but if a lean condition was that bad, wouldn't performance suffer as well?

2nd part is this: a friend gave me a Power Commander II. I know the III is much, much better, but I don't have the cash to lay out for a new one and am hoping to score a used one. The ones for this bike don't come up that often that I've seen, so...figured that in the meantime the PCII would do the job, and they actually have a map specifically for this setup which seems cool

Anyway...PCII for now, and should I do the idle reset procedure before installing? Bike does seem to idle just a tad high, but not that bad. I don't have a tachometer installed so not sure on exact RPM.

sorry for the long post!

Last edited by JustDave71; 07-01-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

well...sorry guys for posting before searching. I see this one has been beat to death.

what about the idle adjust, tho. Should I do that before installing the PCII?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Do it when you first install, just to be sure. Idle zero procedure is just the PCIII synchronizing with the OEM TPS, so your PCIII isn't processing the 10% TPS column when you are actually at 2% TPS, (vice versa, or whatever values you want to plug in for the example).

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry...I guess we're misunderstanding each other

it's a PC two not three, and the idle procedure I was talking about was the HD Factory one where you set the hot idle, pull the sensor, then set the cold then shut down to reset?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My misunderstanding, thought the PCII was a typo.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

I really need some help on this. I don't have a manual yet. I KNOW I need to get one, just fckin hard up right now. It's stupid.

But this bike's here...got no car to drive right now...have to get around.

with current setup, Big Sucker AC, SE204 cam, Samson Rolled Thunder on factory headers, I have to be running super lean right?

I had checked the plugs a couple weeks ago, and they looked fine to be honest. Guy I got it from had ridden it this way a fair bit, and I rode down and back to San Diego. I noticed some pinging on the freeway with 70mph roll-on which freaked me out

so I put the PCII in, and ran the only map the corresponded to what i have even closely, which was 802-015 for SE AC, Stage 1 ECU, Samson Rolled Thunder.

Bike ran worse than it did, and seemed to somehow run leaner! More coughs, more stutters, and the decel pop got worse! Rear cylinder plug was now white and just didn't look good. Front one was lighter than before but still tannish...

I reset back to 0 map, and was looking at 802-12

"For use with Harley's Stage 2 kit. This includes cams, big bore pistons, Sreaming Eagle air cleaner, high flow slip on mufflers, and Stage 2 ECU.

Improved version of M802-002.map

More fuel at 100% throttle
Decel fuel reduced for reduced popping
Timing adjusted for less detonation
Leaner cruise"

Obviously this is nowhere near the correct map for my setup, but I figure it's better than the others since I have a bigger lift cam...?

so I uploaded that and ran around a little, and it seemed to me that the bike got hotter than before?

pretty bummed out right now, am worried I'm ****ing this thing up, but I can't just sit around the house.

not really liking FI right now.

one thing...when I turned on while plugged in to the laptop, the PCII software showed the throttle position anywhere from 3 to 5% when it was closed. Obviously that's not correct either! Idle was right around 950 to 1000 so that seems OK...

damn.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:50 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

bump

got a similar thread on v-twin, but...

in all honesty...the bike ran better with no fuel management. I've tried multiple maps, fudged with settings...

seemed it ran fine and pulled hard, no issues, without any fuel management, and the plugs looked normal.

I know a dyno would be ideal, but that's just not happening.

straight question: if the bike ran fine, could I really be doing serious damage?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the bike does its decel popping, give it a little throttle and see if that helps eliminate some pops(zero fuel at different throttle positions can cause popping..... you mite also have an exhaust leak or intake leak causing proble)ms too...

Last edited by imrotton2; 07-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I am wondering if there have been additional mods to the bike? Piston kit, bored, ECM upgrade? Looks like most maps with a similar setup also have piston work done. Can you contact the PO and find that out?
As far as setting the idle position and resetting the ECM, yes, I would do that prior to the PCII install.
You can set the zero and 100% throttle position in the PCII software. It should be under "Power Commander Tools". There are tutorials on the PC website for that.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think the PCII has those options

guy I got it from was 2nd owner. He did the air, slip ons, cam, and fueling oil pump.

original owner apparently did nothing. I have no paperwork for any of it, though.

Quick Reply: Probably running lean - going to install PC - idle adjust first? 2000 Road King