Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Happened???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 AM
pinecroft
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happened???????

Heading home after a ride yesterday and I was stopped at a traffic light. I always keep the bike in gear at traffic lights in case of some idiot behind me getting too close. As I sat there all of sudden without any warning the bike (2006 street glide) lurched forward as if the clutch cable had broken. I did go down but luckily the engine guard took the brunt of the damage (as well as my pride)and only a quarter size rash on my leg. Got the bike up with help of motorist behind me and rode the rest of the way home without incident. What do I need to look at --- I plan to do the clutch adjustment but am thoroughly puzzled as to wtf happened? Any thoughts or suggestions??? paul

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
smat45
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you 'blip' the throttle while sitting...? Maybe clutch cable adjustment needed...? hmmm...strange...?

Glad you're ok.

Let us know what you find.

tc

smat

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

My guess is the clutch is out of adjustment and sitting at the light the heat from the discs dragging expanded them enough to engage.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
My guess is the clutch is out of adjustment and sitting at the light the heat from the discs dragging expanded them enough to engage.
Did you scratch your nose and forget which hand to use? JK i couldnt resist! Ive had a similar situation happen but didnt lurch hard enough to put me down. Mine was just like i was easing out on the clutch and didnt get better until clutch was adjusted. Cant imagine what happened to make it launch that hard but then work normal once you pick it up. Glad only your pride took the brunt of the damage!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't care what the "experts" say: sitting at a light with the clutch in is NOT a good idea. You are lucky you did not launch into the path of crossing traffic. Scanning your rear view mirrors is a safer way to monitor "idiots" from behind. Broken clutch cables are more common than rear-enders.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I keep the bike in gear at a light I either have my hand on the front brake or my foot on the rear brake....All that is going to happen is stall the bike out if the cable brakes or the disks grab. Best of both worlds safety wise.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
I don't care what the "experts" say: sitting at a light with the clutch in is NOT a good idea. You are lucky you did not launch into the path of crossing traffic. Scanning your rear view mirrors is a safer way to monitor "idiots" from behind. Broken clutch cables are more common than rear-enders.
you got stats to back that up? i think it would be the other way around.....

and even if you are in gear with the clutch pulled in, you still have to monitor your rearview mirrors

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
When I keep the bike in gear at a light I either have my hand on the front brake or my foot on the rear brake....All that is going to happen is stall the bike out if the cable brakes or the disks grab. Best of both worlds safety wise.
plus you have the added benefit of a bright brake light that (hopefully) traffic coming up from behind can see.

Last edited by skratch; 07-03-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you got stats to back that up?
Nah, only 45 years of experience. Personally, two broken clutch cables and one rear ender, nowhere to go sitting behind another vehicle. (Clutch out, front brake on). Never even saw that happen to anyone else.

Stats are for the lying insurance companies and their paid lackies, the safety institute.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It does sound like the clutch adjustment is on the hairy edge and maybe heat was a factor. Might be wrong, but I throw mine in neutral if it's a long stop.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the MAIN reason I am in neutral when at lights or stop signs until I "sense" the light is about to change.

Quick Reply: What Happened???????