Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R realistic hp/tq numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sporacer
My Stock 120r made 134 uncorrected hp. Fuel mileage adveraged 38 in touring mode.That was tuned at jd's cycle works in Penn. I have since changed the cams to the tman 662-1 cams. I can tell you already with just a vtune on the street its making more torque. I will be posting numbers when I get It dyno tuned.
I can also tell you mine does get very hot when in traffic. I do have a hd oil cooler on it.
There is no way that the 120R is making those numbers in stock config. If that was true they would make 170 with the hurricane heads,12:1,62mm throttlebody, 267 cam and that ain't happening. 1 hp per cubic inch that's about it for them in stock form. I got the old 139/137 dyno sheet from HD it's a bunch of crap to keep customers happy. If some tuner is telling you those numbers he probably has 116/116 stage 2 103s too.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
HDThunder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
My Stock 120r made 134 uncorrected hp. Fuel mileage adveraged 38 in touring mode.That was tuned at jd's cycle works in Penn. I have since changed the cams to the tman 662-1 cams. I can tell you already with just a vtune on the street its making more torque. I will be posting numbers when I get It dyno tuned.
I can also tell you mine does get very hot when in traffic. I do have a hd oil cooler on it.

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
There is no way that the 120R is making those numbers in stock config. If that was true they would make 170 with the hurricane heads,12:1,62mm throttlebody, 267 cam and that ain't happening. 1 hp per cubic inch that's about it for them in stock form. I got the old 139/137 dyno sheet from HD it's a bunch of crap to keep customers happy. If some tuner is telling you those numbers he probably has 116/116 stage 2 103s too.

Not to say your tuner is bad... just that his numbers are high. Let me guess... it was a Dynojet.

Last edited by HDThunder; 07-06-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems like the 120r at 120/120 is an underacheiver, considering you can build a 107 with flat tops, .550 lift cams, a mildly cleaned up stock 50mm throttle body and lightly ported stock heads and make 116/127.

It's ridiculous, and why I don't engage in dyno comparisons. Using dyno charts as a basis of comparing performance is like jacking off and calling it sex.

The following users liked this post:
dhaheli@gmail.com (07-11-2019)
Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
HDThunder
Cruiser

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Seems like the 120r at 120/120 is an underacheiver, considering you can build a 107 with flat tops, .550 lift cams, a mildly cleaned up stock 50mm throttle body and lightly ported stock heads and make 116/127.
No, actually you can't get 116/127 from a 107 built like that. You might get someone to give you a "happy" dyno sheet that says it though. If you put that 107 on the same dyno that gives you 120/120 for a 120R you'd get right around 97/107. Ask me how I know this.

But I completely agree with your second comment even though I didn't quote it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

There is a certain tuner in Maine who has done an awfully good job of convincing people that his 4 gas tunes are the only way to properly tune Harley. Thankfully, most people know better.

That said, there are an awful lot of dyno jockeys out there who love tossing out happy dyno numbers (like all those 120/120 95s that were so popular 5 or 6 years ago).

I have no idea what a 120R will do on a dyno. I know that my JD's-built & tuned 103 (which damn sure isn't a stage II) makes an honest 116/116 SAE that's been verified on three different dynos with three different operators (margin for error was less than 5% up or down).

Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 269 Likes on 168 Posts

I think the 120r's should hit 130 square. I tuned one that uncorrected hit 131/129. Sae 129/127. Yes it was on a dynojet. The bike also was held back IMHO with the supertrapp pipe. 34 disc's closed cap. These engines, like most are sensitive to a good exhaust. This bike would have made more with larger head pipes, but was quiet to ride.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

So, what you guys are saying is all the Harley Dealers in America got together and decided they wanted thier tunes to be 10-15% better and some how had all their dynos set-up that way? They did this because they knew their mechanics couldn't possibly tune a bike better than an independent. I would say that's a lawsuit of fraud waiting to happen. I'm not an expert on dynos, but is it not true that Dynojet is generally chosen because of its consistentency within 1% of each other according to the manufacture and reliability and use of the SAE correction helps even more with variances? It's my understanding that the dynojets can't even be adjusted more than 1% by the user, is that true? Again, not an expert on dynojets and just trying to understand the reason why a factory pro is more accurate than a dynojet and why the industry has generally decided to use a less accurate machine.

On a side note, doesn't really matter what number is on the sheet as long as the bike performs on the street.

What tuner did you use on those 3 bikes Hydro,PCV?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
So, what you guys are saying is all the Harley Dealers in America got together and decided they wanted thier tunes to be 10-15% better and some how had all their dynos set-up that way? They did this because they knew their mechanics couldn't possibly tune a bike better than an independent. I would say that's a lawsuit of fraud waiting to happen. I'm not an expert on dynos, but is it not true that Dynojet is generally chosen because of its consistentency within 1% of each other according to the manufacture and reliability and use of the SAE correction helps even more with variances? It's my understanding that the dynojets can't even be adjusted more than 1% by the user, is that true? Again, not an expert on dynojets and just trying to understand the reason why a factory pro is more accurate than a dynojet and why the industry has generally decided to use a less accurate machine.

On a side note, doesn't really matter what number is on the sheet as long as the bike performs on the street.

What tuner did you use on those 3 bikes Hydro,PCV?
SEPST on one and TTS on the other. I don't know whether the Factory pro is more accurate but it showed lower numbers than most of the dynojet 250Is and Land&Sea dynos. One tuner showed mid 120s with the SEPST on the 120R useing a Dynojet 250i I don't see how the 120R can produce these high 130 numbers that some are posting,maybe my local dealership got a bad batch of 120Rs. A few locals that own them in my area got the same dyno sheet from HD that i got stating 139/137 and are happy as heck. I proceeded to waste some more cash on tunes to see how much they can vary. Seems to me that tuners can do pretty much what they want to the numbers to make their customers happy,not all but some. One horse per cubic inch on a streetable v-twin seems pretty common after researching with several v-twin engine builders. I have five maps for my SEPST that are for the 120R and the one that i have in there now is one of the lowest numbers and done with the 4-gas. To me it seems the best running out of them .

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
There is a certain tuner in Maine who has done an awfully good job of convincing people that his 4 gas tunes are the only way to properly tune Harley. Thankfully, most people know better.

That said, there are an awful lot of dyno jockeys out there who love tossing out happy dyno numbers (like all those 120/120 95s that were so popular 5 or 6 years ago).

I have no idea what a 120R will do on a dyno. I know that my JD's-built & tuned 103 (which damn sure isn't a stage II) makes an honest 116/116 SAE that's been verified on three different dynos with three different operators (margin for error was less than 5% up or down).
Well said.

Zach

Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
SEPST on one and TTS on the other. I don't know whether the Factory pro is more accurate but it showed lower numbers than most of the dynojet 250Is and Land&Sea dynos. One tuner showed mid 120s with the SEPST on the 120R useing a Dynojet 250i I don't see how the 120R can produce these high 130 numbers that some are posting,maybe my local dealership got a bad batch of 120Rs. A few locals that own them in my area got the same dyno sheet from HD that i got stating 139/137 and are happy as heck. I proceeded to waste some more cash on tunes to see how much they can vary. Seems to me that tuners can do pretty much what they want to the numbers to make their customers happy,not all but some. One horse per cubic inch on a streetable v-twin seems pretty common after researching with several v-twin engine builders. I have five maps for my SEPST that are for the 120R and the one that i have in there now is one of the lowest numbers and done with the 4-gas. To me it seems the best running out of them .
So based on that I would say your tune is in the ballpark of where it needs to be. The only difference is what the dyno is reading and whether you got a good tune from a dealer. All I can say is my 120r is running pretty damn good with a dealer tune, if I knew a better tuner with a factory pro I still wouldn't have it touched. It runs too good to have it changed and risk messing it up.

At some point people need something semi standard to base comparisons on and at this point dynojet has around 80% of the market. So, they are the defacto standard by any measure; no matter what the factory pro guys say. Even if the factory pro numbers are a more accurate representation of rwhp; it's irrelevant. Most consumers generally accept the Dynojet as the standard to be measured by with an acceptable margin of error. Once you get past the equipment comparison and assume they are slightly different then its up to the individual to decide whether the paticular tune is being manipulated on the dyno or not.

Quick Reply: 120R realistic hp/tq numbers