Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust crossover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Jace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust crossover gasket

I just changed out the head pipes on my 2011 ultra classic. Ive read several posts that talk about the crossover gaskets and that it was a pain in the butt. Maybe I did something wrong, but my crossover pipe slid right off and on very easily. Any chance I did something wrong?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
bikehe
Tourer

Dont think so, sounds like you were lucky. If it dosnt leak and you installed a new gasket then I think youre install went well. Mine was tight but I just flared the cross over a little a that did the trick.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Jace
Advanced

I didnt replace the gaskets, the old one looked fine.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default what kind of pipes did u put on

what were pipes u put on . were the ends tapered like the stock harely ones or more or less square ends. im having a hell of a time getting my vance and hines to seal with the flat gaskets. Im almost tempted to try the stock tapered ones.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Jace
Advanced

I put on stock ones without the cat from American Customs

Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Bfazona
Tourer

Getting the cross pipe off of the head pipe is easy, it's the process of actually removing the gasket from the cross pipe that is difficult. Sounds like you kept your old one, which is what I did the second time I had my head pipe off because the first time was such a pain. The exhaust gaskets for the head pipe are easy to change and should be changed everytime you remove your head pipe.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

I just had my crossover pipe off on my 08 and did not see a gasket. Parts manual doesnt show a gasket either. Did I miss something? Is this something on 09s and up?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default gasket is stuck in exhaust port of head

the original exhaust gasket fits pretty tight into port in head. pretty hard to get out some times without destroying it. here are 2 pics of the different exhaut gaskets the one on right is a tapered fit and one on left is usually for after marked or screaming eagle pipes with squared off ends. i just went out to garge and may as go all the way and get exhaust pipe pics and pic of old gasket still in my stock heads off bike.

Attached Thumbnails exhaust crossover gasket-img_3680.jpg   exhaust crossover gasket-img_3681.jpg   exhaust crossover gasket-img_3683.jpg   exhaust crossover gasket-img_3685.jpg   exhaust crossover gasket-img_3686.jpg  

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Bfazona
Tourer

I don't know if the crossover pipe gasket is specific to the newer bikes, but it is definitely listed in the parts manual for newer bikes, as I had to look up the number for one when I bought a new gasket. The pics above are of headpipe gaskets. The crossover pipe is the small pipe that runs from the head pipe and under the bike to the left slip-on muffler. The gasket is located in the end of the pipe that slips onto the head pipe.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
KACook
Advanced

I just changed my pipes to the Jackpots. I did not change the gasket.

You can check for exhaust leaks with a piece of garden hose placed at your ear and the other end NEAR the exhaust. A 2-3 foot piece works well. Don't touch it to the hot metal or it will melt. That is what the muffler shops use to check on car exhaust.

If you don't have a leak you are good.

Quick Reply: exhaust crossover gasket