Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Chrome Wheel is pealing!!! Any Simple solutions? Any touch up?? Man this Sucks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Angry HD Chrome Wheel is pealing!!! Any Simple solutions? Any touch up?? Man this Sucks!!!!

I have a HD wheel that is pealing...Not bad and it seems to be in one spot. Just wondering what you guys have done with chrome pealing!! These EFIN rims arn't cheap and the fact that its pealing in one spot makes me wonder whats up!! TIA for any Help/Advice/Solutions!!! Tim..............o~`o......

Attached Thumbnails HD Chrome Wheel is pealing!!! Any Simple solutions? Any touch up?? Man this Sucks!!!!-dsc03412.jpg   HD Chrome Wheel is pealing!!! Any Simple solutions? Any touch up?? Man this Sucks!!!!-dsc03413.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

If you're within 2 years of purchase, it's covered under warranty.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

As already mentioned, if its not covered under the warranty time frame, there is not anything that can be done for peeling or scratched chrome except to re-chrome, replace or live with it I'm sorry to say.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, can't fix peeling chrome.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Man that sucks!! Its past warranty :-( .... Is there something i can put on it to stop it from pealing anymore. Now that i have fugged with it it seems to be getting worse.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Man that sucks!! Its past warranty :-( .... Is there something i can put on it to stop it from pealing anymore. Now that i have fugged with it it seems to be getting worse.
Unfortunately no. That spot also looks to be slightly more than just a little spot. How far out of warranty is it? If it isn't too far out, I'd chat with the service manager and see if he can work out a compromise with you. Once the chrome starts to lift like whats indicated in your pics, there is nothing you can do but rechrome. Somehow the base has been compromised.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been seeing that alot lately with HD wheels. My buddy had a set peeling and the dealer said they would cover it under warranty even though he bought the wheels over the internet. Not sure if they did because he traded it the next week for a new Limited.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Dang, that sucks. That is just going to keep on peeling, isn't it?

I would think maybe a lacquer or acrylic clear coat spotted on the are may slow it...maybe...

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

That s*cks! Talk to your dealer about it, he might be able to do something even if they're out of warranty. You won't know unless you ask.
The chrome on the tips of one of my buddies' SE slip-ons is 90% gone! Complete junk!
He's out of warranty too so he'll either get a new set of tips or he'll have them powder coated in black.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Vins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take it to the dealer and see if they'll take care of it. The fact you live in an area where they use corrosives on the road, may play against you. HD chrome is generally pretty hard, but who knows where they are having their wheels built with everything else moving to China.

Quick Reply: HD Chrome Wheel is pealing!!! Any Simple solutions? Any touch up?? Man this Sucks!!!!