Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Match needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
RoadKing52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint Match needed

I'm painting my front fender this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows the Dupont code to match the 2003 vivid black.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 AM
bamclean
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint Match needed

Just go to your local paint store and ask for a basic black basecoat. No metallic or pearl or anything added. Other than that, black is black.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Harley-Davidson DH Vivid Black 6304 at Color-Rite.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bamclean

Just go to your local paint store and ask for a basic black basecoat. No metallic or pearl or anything added. Other than that, black is black.
Not true! You wouldn't believe the variations of black. Some have a blue cast or a brown cast or even a red cast to the paint. I swear it's true..........I thought the same thing, that black is , well, black, but a custom car painter showed me the differences. Was I astonished. It may make little difference to the eye since the fender is so far away from the rest of the painted parts, but if one is trying to spot-paint a panel, it must be matched perfectly or it shows.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Here, to make it easier, this is a direct link to the exact color match paint:

Click me [8D]

Old 11-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can vouch for these guys, too. I had to repaint the lower half of a saddlebag and their "Black Pearl" was a perfect match.

http://www.cyclecolor.com/

Old 11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all true. Many different pigments are combined to make black, the old days of just lampblack added to varnish are long gone.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
planegene
6th Gear

I have to agree with the others, Being a color technichan for a large ink manufacturer myself, there are many different shades of black. Without the proper color code it will never match!! You can go to your local Harley dealer and they can order any color you need (they are just real proud of them if you know what I mean) PPG also has a direct cross reference to the Harley Codes and they match. If you are painting a fender or tank, don't look for the depth that you get with the factory paint, I have been told that the way they are getting that real deep look is a special low temp clear powder coating . Good luck
ORIGINAL: bamclean

Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 AM
bamclean
Advanced

All I know is I've painted 3 HD's that were vivid black, and I haven't had any trouble matching the paint. Went to the local auto paint store and told them to give me a quart of basic black, and never thought twice about it. They gave me 1950's era GM black which matched perfectly.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

the Dupont DBC Black isn't the exact same as the vivid black, but the fender is not near any other bodywork so it doesn't need to be a spot on match.

Trust me on this the DBC 9700 works, I have it on my front fender and unless I pointed out the slight color difference you'd never know.

a pint of DBC runs about 42 bucks around here, plus the activator. The good thing is you can pour the leftover paint back in the can, unlike DBU. Spend the money on the DBC clear too... don't go cheap. This pic was before it was sanded and buffed.
Name:  IM001152.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  IM001136.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  front_flhtpi.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  137.4 KB

Quick Reply: Paint Match needed