Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter bolts - one was broken - upgrade to grade 8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default starter bolts - one was broken - upgrade to grade 8?

well I pulled my chrome starter cover off and found only one nut installed on one of two long threaded shafts. the other long threaded shaft look like the threads broke off with the nut, and the nut with the thread section was actually in the chome cover.

so, do you think I can replace this with a long grade 8 bolt, rather than going the nut approach again.

and it looks like the only way to fix this is to remove the starter. not enough threads on the shaft to grab it with anything....might be able to drill a hole into it for an easy out bit.

has anyone removed one of these bolts?

I have a manual but it's no help....item #5 on the attached figure

Before I go attempting an bolt extraction....just want to make sure the other end of the bolt is not super secured inside the primary buried under compensators clutches, etc.

Attached Thumbnails starter bolts - one was broken - upgrade to grade 8?-screen-shot-2011-07-11-at-12.47.19-pm.jpg