Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 Miles Behind a MadStad Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10,000 Miles Behind a MadStad Windscreen

I wrote up a short review of my MadStad windscreen last month. At that time, I had only ridden around town with it. Since then, I rode almost 10,000 miles from Texas to the Arctic Circle across every kind of terrain imaginable and in every conceivable weather condition.

I won't belabor this post with the installation and adjustment details. Search for it here or PM me for details. I want to focus on the performance. I've been on bikes since I was seven years old and have ridden on the street over 33 years. I put over 40,000 miles on my last Harley in three years. I've had Hester 18 months and have 25,000 miles on her. My point isn't that I'm a hardcore iron a$$, my point is I KNOW when a windscreen works and when it doesn't. I'm not so prideful that I can't admit that I blew a lot of money and time on three previous windscreens before installing the MadStad. I won't knock them here. If you have one, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

On my recent Alaska trip, I rode through torrential rain, hail, swarms of insects, extreme winds, and behind all manor of rock tossing cages on hellish dirt and gravel roads. I know better than anyone I can think of when a screen works and when it doesn't. I feel fully qualified to state that if you really want performance and aren't afraid to buck the dealer and ignore the hype of sporty looking low profile windscreens, try a MadStad. The damn thing just works. In the heaviest rain, I could literally see the wall of drops whooshing over my helmet. With the exception of stopping, I didn't need my rain suit. Only my outer hands and elbows got wet in the rain at speed.

The buffeting and turbulence is gone. Zip. Nada. I rode with and sans helmet on the Alaskapade and was blown away at the clear audio from my stereo. I was able to listen to music and audiobooks at 70+ mph without straining to hear what was being said or played. I could feel the wind at the top of my head, without the helmet, but my ears were clear and I didn't ever wear ear plugs. With a helmet, there was no wind thunder whatsoever. Even when I stood on the foot boards to let blood flow back into my a$$ cheeks, the wind was minimal and I enjoyed the ride.

Alaska is as famous for bugs as it is for bears. There were times when the MadStad was so blotted with insect parts and blood that I would have had a hard time seeing the road had I been looking through it. Whatever the material is, it was resilient enough to withstand the worst Alaska threw at it and still look new when scrubbed clean.

I saw another Road Glide with one in Alaska and some BMWs with MadStads in Alaska and Canada. I have no affiliation with MadStad Engineering and have zero interest in the company other than they make an outstanding product.
I will state here that I will never own a bike that MadStad doesn't make a windscreen for.

The following users liked this post:
PukinDogs (02-08-2020)
Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like high praise, Scott. Sounds like you got ample opportunity for a good evaluation. Enjoyed reading your blog.