Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Can't Decide on a Bike, Harley or Victory

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...r-victory.html

ISSUE

Can’t decide between an Harley Davidson Road Glide vs a Victory Cross Country bike. This thread is asking the forum for opinions and discussion about the differences between the two bikes.

While both bikes are good bikes for Cross Country trips, the main issue with Victory bikes is it being hard to find a dealer for servicing.
Print Wikipost

Can't decide on a bike, harley or victory

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heresy, burn him at the stake.....Ok, just kidding. I too was interested in a Victory. They didn't have the cross country at the time. Pretty good motor, no pushrods different sounding. Good horsepower, pretty good reliability, made in the USA. Dealer network nothing like Harley. It just wasn't a Harley.... I have two (Harleys) so you know what my decision was. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
jackthebiker
Cruiser
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

I have two friends I ride with that have Victory Cross Countrys. I have ridden them, and a Vision. I bought a 2002 Victory Touring Cruiser new in 2003 and put 31,500 trouble free miles on it. When I went last fall to buy my 33rd motorcycle, I had just sold my 2007 Venture and my 2008 Sratoliner, I was either going to buy a new Cross Country or a new Electra Glide. I bought the Electra Glide and now have 10,000 trouble free miles on it. Both are good bikes, but the Victorys have a cheap look to them in my opinion. As someone said, ride them both, and decide. But I would hate to need a Victory Dealer in most parts of this country.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

On a Harley forum, most would recommend the Harley. That's why we're all here.

I looked at Victory's back when I was making the switch to cruisers from sportbikes. The thing I noticed with Victory, is that while they look good, they have a lot of plastic pieces. There's something to be said for metal turn signals, like on a Harley. The Victory's have plastic.

Also, I think there is something SIGNIFICANT to be said for riding the brand that invented the motorcycle. Harley has a bit of heritage that no matter how hard any other brand tries to emulate, they will always fall short, American or otherwise.

Also, regarding the Road Glide Ultra, I would snap one of those up quick, and make the tour-pack detachable. I have a detachable TP on my Street Glide, and I'll be honest, the extra space is nice.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Earlier this year, I was considering making a change and gettng off my '02 FLHT and on a new Cross Country. I rode the Cross Country and it only took a short ride for me to realize how much I appreciated my old '02 FLHT. I wouldn't have taken the Cross Country in an even trade.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my humble opinion but:
1) It's not a Harley
2) Lack of dealer network
3) I personally don't like the appearance of most of their bikes

Of course your opinion is the only one that matters as your the one paying for it & will be riding it. Good luck with your choice!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default decide

Buy the ultra road glide...you can laways remove the tourpak. You will have better re-sale in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More like a UFO

Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Roadglide or Electra Glide for best touring......

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
Funny... Sorry this is like going to a ***** house & asking for a glass of milk.

Every person I know with a Vic has traded in (for a HD) or sold them out right, not about the bike but because of lack of dealer support.
When I read the first part of your comment I thought it was funny, but after I thought about it I really dont understand why its funny. Guess I am a little slow...

Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Beanerflhx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in your spot a bunch of months ago. I took a hard look at both the Crosscountry and the SG, mechanically, rider comfort, parts and accessories, and most of all Dealer Support at home and on the Road. I watched the VIC & HD Forums to see what ppl that owned the bikes had to say and HD won hands down for me and I have never looked back. I have been treated very very by the local dealer even tho I didn't purchase the bike there.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on a bike, harley or victory