Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Road Captain
Default Sedona Orange Paint Availability

If there are any reps from HD dealers on here, please comment or if anyone else has some insight. My understanding is that the Sedona orange pigment came from Japan and due to the earthquake, etc, the paint at least for now is not available (so no lowers, tour pack, etc can be ordered). Part of the reason I heard the SO was not available for some 2012 models. I have the RGC in this color and love it and just hoping eventually it will be availalbe in the future. Any other input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Road Master

buddy of mine just got a new king tour pak and painted inner fairing......another just had the local body shop paint his inner fairing......ssooooo?? I heard problems for the motor company getting the paint but its all PPG paint I would think any decent body shop could match it so sweat........
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Road Captain

Good to know...thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
My understanding is that the Sedona orange pigment came from Japan and due to the earthquake, etc, the paint at least for now is not available
And you received this information from whom, exactly? A dealership salesman?

I've been in, around and involved in the body shop business (including paint mixing & matching) for 26 years now and I'm here to tell you that is the biggest crock of beee-you'll-$hit I've ever heard!!

What's next? "all of our custom leather seats are currently on back-order due to the increased tornado occurrence in the mid-west wiping out the heard of our special motorcycle seat leather supply cows"

I just spoke with our rep, it is currently available from PPG but only premixed and my cost is $437.50 a quart!
09 FLHX, SE Heavy Breather, PC-V, 4" Rineharts, V&H Dresser Duals, 12" Monkey Bars, painted inner, blue LED gauges, Colorado Customs "Vegas" wheels, Avon Cobras, 13" floating front rotor, PM front brake, American Suspension smooth bagger legs, Progressive monotube cartridges w/2" drop, chrome cowbells; shaved, lowered & leveled front fender and PM/Renthal Grips, Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 Amp and Power 6.5" Coaxials
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I did hear on the news that Ford Tuxedo Black vehicles were not available along with a few other colors because of the Japan thing, it caught my attention because I have a Tuxedo Black F150.

$437.50 a quart? Whats it got gold in it? That's insane!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Road Captain

I had a friend who was going to order the matching lowers and dealership quoted some outrageous lead time like 3 months "due to paint shortage pigment". I don't know if that was real reason or just what was told him. Agree it seemed odd because of paint. Thanks for your input. I'll pass it on.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akitakoi View Post
I did hear on the news that Ford Tuxedo Black vehicles were not available along with a few other colors because of the Japan thing, it caught my attention because I have a Tuxedo Black F150.

$437.50 a quart? Whats it got gold in it? That's insane!
Probably got a ton of pearl in it and some proprietary chit too, that stuff gets pretty spensive. Last custom I built was painted with HOK Tangelo, that stuff was over $200/qt (and it didn't even say H-D on it!)
09 FLHX, SE Heavy Breather, PC-V, 4" Rineharts, V&H Dresser Duals, 12" Monkey Bars, painted inner, blue LED gauges, Colorado Customs "Vegas" wheels, Avon Cobras, 13" floating front rotor, PM front brake, American Suspension smooth bagger legs, Progressive monotube cartridges w/2" drop, chrome cowbells; shaved, lowered & leveled front fender and PM/Renthal Grips, Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 Amp and Power 6.5" Coaxials
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Rider

I have both PPG and Sikkens mixing machines in my shop ...I'm going to have the Sikkens rep do a camera shot of My 2011 Sedona Orange RK with a .25qt formula ( base ) and see how well it matches ...I'll let ya know and if Its good I'll post the formula that anyone with a sikkens machine could mix ... that would be quite a bit cheaper ..
Head pipe cat gutted
SE A/C
STAGE 1 DL
3.5" Rineharts
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

wow thats funny carson city harey davidson got the paint for me from the MOCO for $160.00 a quart. iam also a painter for 35 years and no one has a formulay for it yet i went to local paint store for them to take pics of the color and they couldnt match it for ****. the factory pack i got was about 3 shades darker but when i color sanded and polished it looked alot better but was still off. any way try carson city harley i told another memeber on here and thats who he bought his paint from as well i paid $160.00 a quart not the $400 that was mentioned.
2011 fltrx sedona orange here we go again. c&c solo seat,stratum collection timer cover derby cover and a/c cover,oil bud oil cooler, trueduals thunder header slip ons,alpine cda 105 head unit,alpine pdx 2150 digital amp, and type r fairing speakers. carlini eval apes 17 inches. thundermax TBW, cool sac grips, chrome harley controls, ness big sucker stage 1 with woods 555s and fuelmoto adjustable rods wheels by sinister 21 in front 18 rear.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Road Master

Another issue with the Sedona Orange is that no 2 mixes matched each other or any other batch exactly. There were many complaints from service departments that a job as easy as repainting a saddle bag turned into repainting most of the bike because the paint jobs didn't match.

2007 H-D Road King Classic
Secretary - Warrior Brotherhood MC, Chapter A (Houston), Texas
US Army- 4ID (Mech) - Fort Hood, Texas - 1998-2007
Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM

P