Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Uncle Gnarley
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Here's the deal. Riding from Philly to Sturgis in a few weeks. Renting a bike for the trip and I have the choice of several bikes... All stock 2011 machines.

Road Glide Ultra
Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Street Glide
Road King Classic
Heritage Softail Classic

I've been leaning towards the Road Glide Ultra and took it out last weekend for a shake-down ride before the big trip. The bike was awesome in every respect but one... The wind buffeting at helmet level was unbearable! I'm 6'2" and long in the torso (so I'm probably like a 6'4" person in the saddle). The tubulance at head level actually makes it hard to see because my head is being shaken so much!

Would I be better off on the Electra Glide, or would I have a similar issue? Maybe the street glide with it's mini-shield is a better option because my head would be up in clean air? Or, maybe the better option is a Road King/Heritage Classic with the simple shield-only configuration with no fairings?

Help! It's three weeks from today that I start an 1800 mile (each way) ride, and I don't want to regret my choice of bike the whole way!

Thanks in advance for all your help and expertise!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

@ 6' 2" you are gonna get wind issues on either with the stock windscreen.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
travelsfardoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rgu

I'd get the Road Glide Ultra, talk to where you're renting from, tell them the issue, they may have a lower faring for it in house they could trade out. Me and a friend did 1800 miles in TX in May on rented bikes, he gout the EGU, I got the RGU. We both noticed that the RGU was not as affected by the strong crosswinds as we were whipping down I-10 from Medina to Ft. Stockton at 85-90. Just seems to take the wind better with that frame mount. I'm 5'9" but long torso, short legs, he's 6'1" and we traded off, he didn't notice the buffet you're talking about but the RGU I rented did not have the super tall windshield that they come with. Hope that helps.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 95 ultra with 7" windsheld and liked it. Just sold the bike so I rented the RGU and had the same experience with the wind and helmet turbulence. I ended up buying a Limited and no turbulence with stock windshiled at all. I'm not crazy about looking through windshield so I am getting another shorter one, 8" Long Ride Ultra flip.
I did notice some slight difference out on the highway with the RGU when came to passing semi's and crosswinds but not enough to make a switch. Also, hated those storage pockets on the fairing, you can't open them while riding or going through a toll booth cause you have to move the handlebar out of the way. Small issue, but all in all I chose the Limited and I'm very happy with it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

That SG would be the last choice with that short windshield. I think you would be better off with the Limited based solely on people that have tried time and time again to get rid of the buffeting from the RGU. I think the stock windshield on the Limited would do just fine, but I'm partial to that bike. Make sure what ever bike you get it has some highway pegs on the crash bar.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 07-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also recommend the Limited with stock windscreen. You should have no issues with turbulence with that setup.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
idontknow
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4" and ride a limited with the stock windshield. I have removed the lowers for leg room but I have no issues with wind buffeting. I do look through the shield a bit and have been wanting to trade it out at some point in the future. I would recommend the limited...you will enjoy the ride.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idontknow
I'm 6'4" and ride a limited with the stock windshield. I have removed the lowers for leg room but I have no issues with wind buffeting. I do look through the shield a bit and have been wanting to trade it out at some point in the future. I would recommend the limited...you will enjoy the ride.
I'm 6'2" ultra classic or limited stock shield no buffeting better than SG or RG.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,520 Likes on 10,076 Posts

No buffeting on my glide.... and I'm running a 'shorty-shield'.
Guess you'd be better off with the other glide.....

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra Limited-laconia-portrait-small-.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Road Glide Ultra Or the Limited either one is a excellent choice. Maybe I'll see you there, My wife and I re leaving on the friday beforecheck in at Rapid city monday afternoon. Looking forward to it. Have a safe trip.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra Limited