Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15A Brake Fuse Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15A Brake Fuse Blowing

I have added some LED Passing lights to my 2009 FLHP a month or so ago and I have blown two fuses so far. It seems to be random and nothing out of the ordinary from using all other lights to make it blown. Can I use a 25A fuse or will that burn up some other stuff? Any other suggestions. I cna't see how the LED lights are more amps than the standard lights before.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DO NOT increase your fuse size. Ya got something wrong or one of your connections is shorting-out somewhere. A 15 amp circuit should be able to drive a million candle-power Q-Beam so (you're right) feeding some LEDs should be a piece of cake.

The other thing to check is your rear brake light switch assembly. (Down low on your frame, behind foot rest on right side). If you're hitting this switch with a pressure washer, water can get in there.

You are shorting something out somewhere. Best of luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Any chance that the wires under rear fender(between fender and tire) are chaffed/torn/scraped?
some models run the wires to tail light under rear fender..if bike is lowered or cable becomes loose then it will rub against tire and ground against fender.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
DO NOT increase your fuse size. Ya got something wrong or one of your connections is shorting-out somewhere. A 15 amp circuit should be able to drive a million candle-power Q-Beam so (you're right) feeding some LEDs should be a piece of cake.

The other thing to check is your rear brake light switch assembly. (Down low on your frame, behind foot rest on right side). If you're hitting this switch with a pressure washer, water can get in there.

Spot on, no further advice required

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorBoy

+1 great advice

Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
schv
Cruiser

I had the same problem after installing a tach on my RK (nacelle mounted tach, not the speedo combo). The brake light, turn signals, and horn all run off that same fuse. In my case, I found the wire behind the horn had chaffed and was touching the front of the rear cylinder, but that wasn't yet shorting so I had to keep looking. As it turned out, inside the headlight housing the main wiring harness was being dragged across the grease zerk for the head bearing, and eventually wore through and shorted that circuit to ground. If you don't already have one, get a factory service manual for your bike. The wiring diagrams will be a great help. Given that you just installed the passing lights, I'd be looking inside the headlight housing.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have a lowering kit installed, odds are you have a short due to wheel rub on the wiring harness which runs under fender. had that problem and wound up running the harness in between fender and rear tunk.

if you do not have a lowering kit....check your install...some LED packages include a load resistor which the only purpose is to provide a load so that you blinkers work correctly. If you have a load resistor, under peak over voltage situations, the current could exceed design and blow the fuse. Current is liniear to voltage applied. If this were the case, you would need to check your system voltage, and if it checked out OK, you would need to contact the vendor of the LED system and discuss options for using a voltage divider instead of just a droping resistor.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
schv
Cruiser

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
if you have a lowering kit installed, odds are you have a short due to wheel rub on the wiring harness which runs under fender. had that problem and wound up running the harness in between fender and rear tunk.

if you do not have a lowering kit....check your install...some LED packages include a load resistor which the only purpose is to provide a load so that you blinkers work correctly. If you have a load resistor, under peak over voltage situations, the current could exceed design and blow the fuse. Current is liniear to voltage applied. If this were the case, you would need to check your system voltage, and if it checked out OK, you would need to contact the vendor of the LED system and discuss options for using a voltage divider instead of just a droping resistor.
He replaced the driving lights, not the turn signals.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Panhead Bill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
I have added some LED Passing lights to my 2009 FLHP a month or so ago and I have blown two fuses so far. It seems to be random and nothing out of the ordinary from using all other lights to make it blown. Can I use a 25A fuse or will that burn up some other stuff? Any other suggestions. I cna't see how the LED lights are more amps than the standard lights before.
Ditto in all the good advice about not upping the fuse.

I would start by taking a look at the wiring diagram and make sure that the passing lamps are on the same circuit as the brake light fuse. Not sure if they are or not. Have you changed any thing related to the brake lights? I have seen a wire get pinched under the tail light lens on a RK

Old 08-26-2012, 01:46 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser
Unhappy

I like to revisit this topic on my lights. I still have my 15A Brake fuse blowing. I just don't turn on the pursuit or some say passing lights on anymore. I have my bike broke down a bit and disconnected almost every source to the brake fuse that I can. My brake light assembly is disconnected in the back and passing lights disconnected at the front. I do believe this is a ground. Heres why:

I put a 20A fuse in just to see if it would hold the power. It blew right off the bat when passing lights engaged. So to me this would indicate maybe a ground and not too much current since all my lights are disconnected.

Here is my dilema: I am trying to follow the wiring diagram for my FLHP and the ground wire is only going two places. One is the brake relay. And the other the pursuit light harness.

I attached the diagrams which show the 15A trace along with the pursuit ground.

Can someone please help me or guide me to some sense of this? If anything a way to test the ground wire.....Or am i looking in the wrong place. Could it be anywhere else but these places. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails 15A Brake Fuse Blowing-harness.jpg   15A Brake Fuse Blowing-hand-control.jpg  

Quick Reply: 15A Brake Fuse Blowing