Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running Royal Purple?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Running Royal Purple?

So my bike and my buddy's wife's bike are both headed in for their 5k services this weekend

my buddy has a really good independent shop up his way in Ormond Beach and since the wife and I were headed up for the weekend I asked him to make an appt for me on Sat

So while he is making this appt for my bike and his wifes Heritage he gets to talking to the mechanic/shop owner about what oil they have been using or will be using.

Now, it's always been Harley oil at this shop, but just the other day they had a 113 motor that they put Royal Purple in and it dropped the temps 20 degrees

Now the shop does not sell the oil, so they don't make a dime off of this "upgrade" as you have to bring the oil with you if you want that, but they were so impressed with the drop in temps, they are thinking of stocking that oil and offering it for a slight increase over the std services b/c the harley oil is almost as expensive and its only about $1 difference in price per quart.

So here is the question, have any of you out there seen similar results for engine temp drops in one versus the other?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run RP in everything I own. My FLHX motor/drivetrain is quieter with it in it, never did a temp test.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow. I never have, but I might now after hearing that.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Classic Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea what Texas said

Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

My FLHX motor/drivetrain is quieter with it in it, never did a temp test.
do you run the 20-50 motorcycle RP in the transmission?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a little research. Royal Purple and redline are rated as class five. Amsoil is rated class four. These two are rated just a little better by the API. Good oil for sure!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I run RP too. I don't have a temp gauge, it is just the easiest to find around here.

Drew

Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there were a few threads on here about one oil vs another and all seemed to be centered around wear or testing nothing on temps on a running motor

I am new to the harley world and figured there had to be others out there running it already

Hot temps sap HP and in FL we are hot most of the year so this seemed like some good info from a shop that wasn't even selling me the upgrade rather just passing along some of their own observations

My buddy stopped by the local auto parts store and they were having a sale on RP so he picked up a case and so it will be in my bike as of Saturday so lower temps are the desired result

Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM
eja
Advanced

I ran RP for 10,000 2 oil changes. It smells really bad and it was really black at 5000 like it couldn't handle the high temps a harley subjects the oil to. I've also run SYN3, Redline, Amsoil and lately Mobile 1 V-Twin. They all run at the same oil temp in my bike. Of all the oils I had in my bike I like Moble1 V-Twin the best. This is just MHO but it seems to handle high temps the best. When I change at 5000 it looks the same same color as when it was new.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cameraboy
do you run the 20-50 motorcycle RP in the transmission?
Regular 20W50 (not the Max-Cycle) in the motor and primary and Redline shock proof heavy in the trans.

Did it all at 1k, the 5th gear whine immediately went away along with much of the mechanical engine noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Running Royal Purple?