Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Support bracket necessary for front docking kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
kevdog
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Support bracket necessary for front docking kit?

I'm about to install the front docking kit for a backrest on my 2008 FLHTC, the docking kit is part number 53803-06. The instructions say that part 53805-99, a support bracket connecting the front and rear mounting points needs to be installed but it doesn't come with the docking kit, it actually comes with the backrest. I bought my backrest used so I don't have them. Are they really necessary? In the instructions for the docking kit the support bars are item K in the diagrams.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

My '07 should be the same as your '08. It's been a few years but here's what I remember about installing my quick disconnect sissy bar. My bike had the docking "spools" already installed when I bought the bike new. I bought the sissybar upright and Quick disconnect side plates from Zannotis over the net. Of course the little brackets or "tie bars" weren't on the bike. I tried to just snap the side plates on and found that the spools were about 1/4 inch off from the holes in the side plates. When I loosened up everything and installed the little brackets everything lined up fine.

So those things will get the spools the proper distance apart to easily use the quick disconnet side plates.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 PM
kevdog
Road Captain

Thanks, so couldn't I just add some washers to get the correct spacing?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
So those things will get the spools the proper distance apart to easily use the quick disconnet side plates.
Yes they are spacers..Keep everything aligned.Sucks that they come with the backrest and not the install kit!! The dealer will have them and they are cheap. Dought if anyone will have an extra set.
Good Luck and keep ell your bolts loose till you get the proper spacing. Also very impotant use locktight and lock washers on all bolts,,,, You sure would hate to loose one one the road...Don't ask me how i know....

Attached Thumbnails Support bracket necessary for front docking kit?-dsc03314.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kevdog
Thanks, so couldn't I just add some washers to get the correct spacing?
I'm talking about the spacing between the two spools on each side, not spacing the spools out from the center of the bike. You'll see that if you just bolt on the spools the distance between them is probably different than the spacing of the slots in the side plates. You'll have to loosen the saddlebag mounting brackets a little to install the spools with those brackets. The brackets tying the two spools together provide the proper spacing for the side plates to snap on and off. Tighten everthing up once the correct spacing between the spools is achieved. Once the spacing between the spools is right you can see if washers are needed to space the spools outboard to align with the sideplates together with the upright installed.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM
kevdog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Northside
I'm talking about the spacing between the two spools on each side, not spacing the spools out from the center of the bike. You'll see that if you just bolt on the spools the distance between them is probably different than the spacing of the slots in the side plates. You'll have to loosen the saddlebag mounting brackets a little to install the spools with those brackets. The brackets tying the two spools together provide the proper spacing for the side plates to snap on and off. Tighten everthing up once the correct spacing between the spools is achieved. Once the spacing between the spools is right you can see if washers are needed to space the spools outboard to align with the sideplates together with the upright installed.
Okay, I understand better now, I'll pickup the brackets before I do the install.