Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned how to start my bike w/o Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Learned how to start my bike w/o Key fob

Rode my bike to work today. Left an hour early to enjoy the ride home. Helmet on, gloves on... when I realize the security system was not disengaging. After cycling the ignition and walking away from the bike to reset the alarm I finally got the alarm to reset and was able to fire the bike.

When I got home I read the manual on how to bypass the security with the pin. I also went for new batteries for the key fob.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry a spare battery for the FOB in my tool pouch. It's cheap insurance...

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I have to learn how to that one of these days. It's nice to know -how to- before you -have to-

Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

There's a little card in the back of your owners manual that lists the procedure. I cut it out and keep it in my wallet.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
There's a little card in the back of your owners manual that lists the procedure. I cut it out and keep it in my wallet.
These things come with owner's manuals?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for u something we all should know you would be amazed at how many never even know.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Also good to change the default PIN to something you will remember and will not be easy for someone to come along and enjoy your ride and leave you with the long face. We should all practice this now and then.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I posted this earlier this year:

Thanks to reading HDF, I knew I might need to manually disarm my security system some day. So before I picked up my 2003 FHTCUI, I had Racine HD reset my personal code to something I would remember. I never checked to see if it really worked, but tonight there was thread about a guy who lost his fob and didn't know code, so now he has to buy a new module. So I went out and manually disarmed my alarm. The code worked, the 2nd time, first time I didn't read the directions right. So I am posting the directions in a condensed version that you can access if you don't have a manual
1. Kill switch OFF.
2. Ignition switch ACCESSORY
3. Hold both directionals in. Security indicator lamp will flash rapidly. (The one on the speedometer).
4. Enter numbers of personal code by pressing left directional the number of times in each digit followed by pressing right directional. For example:
If code was 12345 you would press left directional 1 time, then right directional. Then LD 2 then RD1, LD3 RD1, LD4 RD1, LD5 RD1..Sounds complicated but when you do it it is actually easy.
5. Security lamp will stop blinking, you are good to go. I recommend doing this at home on a nice day, not on the road in a thunderstorm, while your buddies are calling you an idiot.
If you don't know your code I think any dealer can program it for you. I also carry extra fob batteries, with me. It is a 2032 battery available all over, actually cheaper at HD dealer than most stores.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 PM
dhincc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I posted this earlier this year:

Thanks to reading HDF, I knew I might need to manually disarm my security system some day. So before I picked up my 2003 FHTCUI, I had Racine HD reset my personal code to something I would remember. I never checked to see if it really worked, but tonight there was thread about a guy who lost his fob and didn't know code, so now he has to buy a new module. So I went out and manually disarmed my alarm. The code worked, the 2nd time, first time I didn't read the directions right. So I am posting the directions in a condensed version that you can access if you don't have a manual
1. Kill switch OFF.
2. Ignition switch ACCESSORY
3. Hold both directionals in. Security indicator lamp will flash rapidly. (The one on the speedometer).
4. Enter numbers of personal code by pressing left directional the number of times in each digit followed by pressing right directional. For example:
If code was 12345 you would press left directional 1 time, then right directional. Then LD 2 then RD1, LD3 RD1, LD4 RD1, LD5 RD1..Sounds complicated but when you do it it is actually easy.
5. Security lamp will stop blinking, you are good to go. I recommend doing this at home on a nice day, not on the road in a thunderstorm, while your buddies are calling you an idiot.
If you don't know your code I think any dealer can program it for you. I also carry extra fob batteries, with me. It is a 2032 battery available all over, actually cheaper at HD dealer than most stores.
Good to know. I also have the card. BUT ... the easiest way is ... carry spare batteries.

Ride safe!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
you don't have to go to the dealer to retrieve your code. it tells you how in your owner's manual. look under set/change pin.

i feel like a broken record telling people to learn how to use their code. you never know when you'll need it. it may not be just the battery in the fob going dead. it could be a lost/destroyed fob, or even if you park in an area where there is some kind of interference. its a whole lot easier to punch in a few numbers than to push a heavy sumbitch around the parking lot trying to get away from the signal interference.

i make it a habit to go through the procedure once or twice a month, just to make sure that if/when i need it, i won't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Learned how to start my bike w/o Key fob