Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Vest

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Same vest my wife and I picked up at Laughlin this year. The wetbulb temp is always lower than ambient so evaporation will always cool you a little no matter how humid, obviously the drier the better. We love ours just resoak them every time you gas up

Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
air around the gulf coast is pretty much saturated with a high level of moisture like JonW said evaporation, particularly at night and in the morning, is quite slow. We also ride the Three Sisters quite often so at $40.00 worth the investment. Thanks for the info
If I was any closer to the coast I'd be in the water. Haven't got to try it around here and probably won't. My riding around here is A to B and not more than 30 minutes at a time. I do however; like the way it worked up in the hills.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

POS--stays damp for 2 days. can not dry it out overnight in motel room. only keeps you cool for about 2 hours...the rest of the day you are just wet. must weigh about 20 pounds--wish harley would admit they made a mistake and give me my money back. headed to sturgis from south texas and wishng for something to keep me cool.. i will not be wearing the crappy h-d hydration vest...total waste of money.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Q
Man I was in that store Saturday and didn't see that. Just told the wife about your buy, looks like another ride over to Leaky tomorrow too.
If you go in the store and head straight for the door to the beer, you're gonna miss. Look on the back side of that center display.

btw, we where in there from 10:30 till about 11:15

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The wife and i bought ours just before leaving for Colorado and South Dakota on July 1st. They made the 400 mile days easily bearable as we just re-soaked at every gas stop. Coming home thru St. Louis would have been miserable without them after our 10 day ride as it was upper 90's and high humidity.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dan conner
POS--stays damp for 2 days. can not dry it out overnight in motel room. only keeps you cool for about 2 hours...the rest of the day you are just wet. must weigh about 20 pounds--wish harley would admit they made a mistake and give me my money back. headed to sturgis from south texas and wishng for something to keep me cool.. i will not be wearing the crappy h-d hydration vest...total waste of money.
I don't know anything about HD'S brand. I speak for the Techniche (Hyperkewl) brand that I bought and it has no trouble drying out when you put some hot air to it.

Hyperkewl fabric retains water
Techkewl is some kind of chemical release and the HD brand has the magic beads

Last edited by bdp; 07-17-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM
tonsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get it for $31.00? I am going to sturgis august 5 - 13 my first time with my ultra 2011 limited. I been to sturgis but via airplane coming from los angeles california.

Hope to see you guys there. I have a vivid black but I change the light to street glide with the license plate in the bottom and also put in the rear fender tri-bar light and fascia with the help of some forum members. If you see a asian guy that is riding this ultra limited vivid black 2011, please say hello so I can at least meet some of you guys in person.

Thanks everyone for a nice great very usefull, informative forum.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by tonsa
Where did you get it for $31.00? I am going to sturgis august 5 - 13 my first time with my ultra 2011 limited. I been to sturgis but via airplane coming from los angeles california.

Hope to see you guys there. I have a vivid black but I change the light to street glide with the license plate in the bottom and also put in the rear fender tri-bar light and fascia with the help of some forum members. If you see a asian guy that is riding this ultra limited vivid black 2011, please say hello so I can at least meet some of you guys in person.

Thanks everyone for a nice great very usefull, informative forum.
Look at post #6 in this thread. 1500 miles over here and then 1500 to Sturgis will make for a good ride. You better leave a day early.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaier
Same vest my wife and I picked up at Laughlin this year. The wetbulb temp is always lower than ambient so evaporation will always cool you a little no matter how humid, obviously the drier the better. We love ours just resoak them every time you gas up
Understood, the difference is that you rehydrate it every 200 miles. Here the vest will weigh the same after 200 miles. On the hot days I will wear a long sleeve coloumbia fishing shirt and a t shirt underneath pour some of water on the t shirt it does keep me cooler just doesn't evaporate, well slow that is.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I got one this year - wore it from DC to Charlston, Savannagh, Mobile, New Orleans, across Texas on I-10 all the way to Palm Springs CA May 30-June10 HOTTTTTTTT... work just OK in the high humidity - worked GREAT in the dryer Heat.. lasted about 2 hours - 5 min to resoak and off we went.... What really impressed me... Road from Phoenix to Palm Springs through Blyth CA - when we arrived it was 102.... took off my vented jacket and the cooling vest and my chest and stomach area was very cool to the touch...

http://www.esafetystore.com/GroupInfo/GroupID/21000

Quick Reply: Cooling Vest