Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are SE Cams stamped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Straycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are SE Cams stamped?

For example are SE 255 cams stamped 255 or with any other identifier? Thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

In the case of the SE255, each cam is clearly stamped on the outside of one lobe "CVO 255". At least one unscrupulous Ebay seller has put stock cams up for auction that have a "255" in the part number, claiming they're SE255's, so caveat emptor.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

+1

"CVO 255" on the side of the lobe.

Outstanding cams, BTW.

~Joe

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Straycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. There are some on ebay, I will make sure.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by traveler
+1

"CVO 255" on the side of the lobe.

Outstanding cams, BTW.
Still my favorite cam for baggers with stock motors.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

SE255 cams are under 300 brand new at the dealer.

I initially bought used ones....they were no good, ended up going new. Too easy to get screwed buying used **** online...what one guy considers "mint" is **** to another.....and I'm VERY picky.

Glad i did....why put used crap in my new bike?

255 cams are PERFECT for an FL bike. My bikes performance is a testament now.

Lost $150 bucks learning the hard way. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake.

~Joe

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
Still my favorite cam for baggers with stock motors.
+1

I am an absolute believer now.

Go ahead, get your Woods cam....you just passed over the best bagger cam out there, IMHO. Ramps are more gradual, which is easier on the lifters and the rest of the valvetrain. Still have 550 lift and 240+ duration...sweet lopey idle, quiet valvetrain.......these cams have ALOT of R&D money spent to perfect them from the MOCO and this should not be discounted. Indy companies can't afford the R&D costs....so why not benefit from the money and time spent?

BTW, these cams are great for both 96 and 103 engines.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 07-20-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Still have 550 lift and 240+ duration...sweet lopey idle,
The 255 cams are an EPA grind with 211* duration, and don't sound much different than stock cams at idle. Good bagger cams, sure, and especially for the 96 motors, but there are a number of cams that work just as well in the 103 motors.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The 255 cams are an EPA grind with 211* duration, and don't sound much different than stock cams at idle. Good bagger cams, sure, and especially for the 96 motors, but there are a number of cams that work just as well in the 103 motors.
I also find the idle to be about the same in tone, but a bit more aggressive with a noticeably louder exhaust tone. It sounds like a stock motor on a mild steroid. EPA compliance is irrelevant if the effect is what you want, and I personally am glad I can have the performance I want with minimal effect on the environment. You're also right about the 103, IMO, as the higher compression of that motor opens another group of good candidates that aren't as good a fit in a 96. If I had a new factory 103 I don't know what I would select, but the Andrews 48H would be high on the list along with the 255 and 204.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

SE255 cams are under 300 brand new at the dealer.
I initially bought used ones....they were no good, ended up going new. Too easy to get screwed buying used **** online...what one guy considers "mint" is **** to another.....and I'm VERY picky. Glad i did....why put used crap in my new bike?
255 cams are PERFECT for an FL bike. My bikes performance is a testament now.
Lost $150 bucks learning the hard way. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake.
There's no practical reason to avoid a used cam that came out of a good-running, normal engine--i.e., not one that has been inflicted with unusual internal trauma. Many have bought and installed used cams, including me, and have had no problems. I bought a used Andrews cam for my old Evo and it was still running fine at >120k miles, the last time I checked on it. If a prospective buyer is worried about it like you were, he can buy SE cams for about $250 from on-line dealers like Zanotti. There's certainly nothing wrong with that if you don't mind spending the extra money.

BTW, what was wrong with the cams you bought on Ebay? Were you the one who received them improperly packed and were damaged in shipment?

Quick Reply: Are SE Cams stamped?