Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Noise.....Inner Primary Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Primary Noise.....Inner Primary Bearing??

First, here is the noise I am hearing 1) When coasting to a stop when I pull in the clutch I get a noise from the primary that sounds like the famous 5th gear whine (best way to describe it), and 2) If I am stopped and put the bike in neutral I also hear it, with or without the clutch pulled in.

So is this an inner primary bearing? reason I ask is most people say it goes away if you pull the clutch in, not mine, if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in no noise, but as soon as I get it in neutral the noise starts up even with the clutch pulled in.

Sounds like it is coming directly from the primary cover.

Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how long has the primary oil been in your case? synthetic of dino? what weight oil?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
how long has the primary oil been in your case? synthetic of dino? what weight oil?
Changed it about 2K miles ago, it's Redline VTwin primary. Noise just start last weekend on a trip up to the finger lakes

Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I dont have an answer but if you do replace it I recomend a one piece bearing like Baker and there are other mfr's. Mine didnt make a noise it just leaked oil.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pardon the ignorance, but wouldn't the bearing stop making noise with the clutch lever pulled in?

oh...you already mentioned that...but yeah it seems like it would kill the sound.

Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope to try to isolate the sound?

Maybe open the inspection cover while the bike is running? Probably get some oil on ya, but it would help to pinpoint the location?

Could also be clutch hub bearing, no? That could keep making noise even with the plates disengaged.

Hell, could be a few things it seems...get a scope and see if you can narrow it down, or just pull the primary apart if you're sure. Take the outer cover off and take your time and inspect each component as you take it off. See if the clutch has play while it's still tight on the mainshaft, see if the primary chain is rubbing anything, check the compensator nut torque, inspect the primary chain tensioner, etc...once you've looked at every part in that layer you can maybe pull the compensator, chain, and clutch assembly and inspect the clutch bearing and then get into the stuff behind it.

It's a really easy job, even if you have to pull the inner primary and replace that bearing. Im sure you have a manual, so there ya go!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

oh, also...not sure, but I think the clutch throwout bearing whines when it fails, too.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
I dont have an answer but if you do replace it I recomend a one piece bearing like Baker and there are other mfr's. Mine didnt make a noise it just leaked oil.
I tried a sealed bearing on my 94 softail a while back, purchased from a reputable, knowledgeable parts supplier, and that thing would not fit on my mainshaft, no matter what I did. Wasn't a Baker...can't remember, but it was a known bearing brand (Baker doesn't manufacture their bearings) and was "supposed to" fit.

The All ***** version is significantly less cost wise than the Baker, also.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bowhunter61, that's a very familiar sound and my guess would be inner primary bearing. Your dealer would be able to confirm, and there is some precedent for HD to fix it as a warranty repair even if you are outside your two years; they replaced mine twice outside of warranty. Seems to be a common "wear item" on the twin cams.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

seems that letting Harley do it, replacing the apparently faulty part with another potentially faulty part makes no sense.

At the very least, try to convince them to install a better bearing? Every wrench I've talked to said stock primary bearing was good for the life of the bike usually, but we were talkin evos.

I'm new to TCs...is the inner primary bearing different than what was on my evo?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure noise 1 isn't just the straight cut gear in the trans? I only notice it with the clutch in coasting to a stop if I'm in 1st gear.

Noise 2 doesn't sound normal.

Quick Reply: Primary Noise.....Inner Primary Bearing??