Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Credit and titles

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 AM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I got lucky. I recently paid off my ride with HC and got the title in about 2 weeks.

Congrats on the pay off, its a great feeling. I'm sure you'll get the paperwork worked out.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in fl when you pay off your scoot there are no longer paper titles unless you request it from the dmv. The banks or CU's do hold a "paper title" but you still have to get yours from the dmv. At a fee of course.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Feeeeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO.

My sad title story is through HSBC bank on my old Suzi.

When I bought the bike from the local Suzi dealer (now out of business) they were in the process of relocating to a new state of the art building. I was the first new bike to roll out of the new Location. All paperwork on the transaction had been lost in the move. I actually had to get a second temp plate cause the bike never got registered.

In the meantime while waiting for registration I had to go back to dealer and re-sign the reg paperwork (this is where the problem arised). They apparently had to type up all new Reg and accidentally put HSBC bank as the Lein Holder (actually financed bike through my CU)

When I went to get the new HD a month ago low and behold I had never received a title. I called my Credit Union, they had no history of ever getting it. I go to dmv for a copy, and they tell me no prob, need a release of Lien from HSBC bank, I thought Ok CU must have sold my loan.

Come to find out the loan was not sold, started to call hsbc, and their story was well we cant issue a release of Lien because you dont exist. I continued to tell them I know I dont exist the bike was never financed with you, I just need a letter stating you do not hold a lien on this bike. Well sir we cant do that because the vin doesnt come up in our system, there is no way we could be listed as lien holder if its not in our system. I explained it was a mistake on the selling dealers part. Round and Round this went for about two weeks till I found a phone number for the executive offices of the president of hsbc. Started the conversation with the entire back story, told the lady on the other end of the phone what all of her other associates had told me that I cant get a release of lien cause there is none to give. I said look your company is being credited with a lien that you do not hold, that is illegal. All I need is a letter stating that HSBC Bank holds no lien interest in said vin. "oh is that all? I can have that faxed to you in 15 minutes"

About 20 hours on the phone later, and two weeks time I finally got a release of lien from HSBC and had a title in my hands from dmv half an hour later. YIKES!!!

I can assure you that as soon as my drum gear is paid of, my guitar center credit card, which is held by hsbc bank will be getting cancelled. Already cancelled my best buy card, (held by hsbc as well)

I will never do business with hsbc again as long as I can help it....

Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 AM
hedgehorn
Road Captain

I got my title in two weeks after I sent HD credit the check. Seems about normal. It took Chase about the same amount of time to send me the title to my car.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess every state is different. Where I live, you get a title showing the financial institution as the lienholder. When you pay it off, they send you a letter releasing the lien and you staple that to the title when you sell. I got my letter from HD in a week or two.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Moonrider
Here in fl when you pay off your scoot there are no longer paper titles unless you request it from the dmv. The banks or CU's do hold a "paper title" but you still have to get yours from the dmv. At a fee of course.
I did not request anything, simply sent HC a check for full amount due and they mailed me the title. No DMV involved.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i went thru that with a car we bought..i payed it off over a year ago,got a letter saying thanks for fulfilling the loan,but that was it..called several times could never get an answer where the title was, finally after 6 months they said its there policy to shred titles and only keep electronic record of them.they said i had to go to a title office with the payoff letter and file for a new title, basically a lost title search. i told them i didnt care what there policy is,my states law is they have to produce a title when the loan is paid off.i told them they have to get a title copy and mail it to me,it has been 7 months and all i got was another loan paid letter..now i have to go thru the trouble and pay for a title search to sell the car..

Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

A few years back I bought a new Husky from a dealer in November, paid with a check. Got busy with racing and life in general and forgot all about a title. Got hurt pretty bad and would miss the rest of the racing season so I decided to sell the bike while it was still almost new and get another new one when the next season started. So I sell the bike and lo and behold I still had no title, this is about June , so I look for my title thinking I had it somewhere, finally remembered I never got it, call Dealer. They say I should have had it by then and to contact DMV. So I do, turns out they never paid for the bike! Luckily I had all my paperwork and the distributor signed off on the forms to release my bikes title to me. Dealer was very soon out of business. The new buyer was kinda pissy at first thinking I was trying to scam him but after I showed him the written correspondence between the DMV and myself he settled down.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
mstakern
Tourer

I have never had issues with HD financing or getting a title after payoff. Their rates were even on par with my credit union.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

States are different. Kansas is an electronic title state. You don't get the title from the lien holder, it comes from the state after the lien holder sends a release to the state.

Quick Reply: Harley Credit and titles