Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Belt Dressing????

I have been researching my chirping issue, and exhausted all of the suggestions given. I bought new rubber exhaust mounting straps, sprayed them with silicone, checked all of my bolts, sprayed silicone on just about everything that can make a noise, Pulled my SE slip-ons off, checked the baffles, checked the pipe heat shields, all exhaust mounts, checked my belt tension, and nothing seems to get rid of it. ( my chirp is only present between 2000-3000 RPM's either in neutral and revving or going down the road, accelerating or decelerating)

I read on another post that Harley has a product called poly oil for the drive belts. Can I just spray some automotive belt dressing on my drive belt? will it harm anything? or should I just go buy some of the poly oil?

2006 Electra Glide Classic, Converted TO A ROAD GLIDE V&H True Duals, V&H Fishtails, SE Breather, Stage 1 ECM, Quick detach tour pak, Oil Temp Gauge, HD leather Heated Grips, Kuryakyn bullet turn signal bar & Run turn brake light controller, hammock seat, Mustang Riders Backrest, Fork baffle, Ebay lowers, 10" PYO Classic Bagger Apes,+ other odds and ends.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Rider

You will have a mess with any belt dressing.Trust me you wont be happy when you see what it does to paint.

2008 street glide,103" engine,forged flat top pistons,ported heads,andrews 26 cams feuling cam plate,Rc wheels,roland sands air cleaner,Acr's.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Road Master

A long time ago we would put one (1) drop of engine oil on the squeking belt and it would stop
Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Have moved the rear wheel lately it? The belt maybe a little to tight!! Just my .02 worth!!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey8787 View Post
Have moved the rear wheel lately it? The belt maybe a little to tight!! Just my .02 worth!!
nope, have not, I have the HD tension tool, and I'm right with in specs. Kinda at a loss. figured maybe the chirp is from the belt. I will try thr HD Poly oil (made for our belts) and see if it gets rid of it.

Just thought I could try something I have at the house, but I don't want to risk ruining something.

2006 Electra Glide Classic, Converted TO A ROAD GLIDE V&H True Duals, V&H Fishtails, SE Breather, Stage 1 ECM, Quick detach tour pak, Oil Temp Gauge, HD leather Heated Grips, Kuryakyn bullet turn signal bar & Run turn brake light controller, hammock seat, Mustang Riders Backrest, Fork baffle, Ebay lowers, 10" PYO Classic Bagger Apes,+ other odds and ends.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude1 View Post
nope, have not, I have the HD tension tool, and I'm right with in specs. Kinda at a loss. figured maybe the chirp is from the belt. I will try thr HD Poly oil (made for our belts) and see if it gets rid of it.

Just thought I could try something I have at the house, but I don't want to risk ruining something.
I've experienced the same thing and my father-in-law showed me a trick that's works better that oil when diagnosing a belt squeak because it doesn’t sling oil everywhere. Get some baby power and "puff" some on the teeth of the belt all the way around the inside diameter of the belt. If the squeak goes away then it's your belt making the noise.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Road Master

Pulley can squeak when worn. There's no fix.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude1 View Post
I have been researching my chirping issue, and exhausted all of the suggestions given. I bought new rubber exhaust mounting straps, sprayed them with silicone, checked all of my bolts, sprayed silicone on just about everything that can make a noise, Pulled my SE slip-ons off, checked the baffles, checked the pipe heat shields, all exhaust mounts, checked my belt tension, and nothing seems to get rid of it. ( my chirp is only present between 2000-3000 RPM's either in neutral and revving or going down the road, accelerating or decelerating)

I read on another post that Harley has a product called poly oil for the drive belts. Can I just spray some automotive belt dressing on my drive belt? will it harm anything? or should I just go buy some of the poly oil?
The HD Poly Oil of made for the engine compensator sproket inside the primary. I wouldn't put that on you drive belt.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Since it squeaks in neutral while revving the motor it is not the belt. Have you adjusted the clutch recently?
Get a stethoscope and locate the noise.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasspj View Post
Since it squeaks in neutral while revving the motor it is not the belt. Have you adjusted the clutch recently?
Get a stethoscope and locate the noise.
Yes, Just adjusted a few days ago, per the service manual instructions, didn't help. I didn't give the belt much thought since it does it when not moving, but I'm drawing straws here trying to find the source of my chirp.

couple of other things I tried was removing the tour pak, seat, bags, license plate, taillight, and signals, still chirps (all off at the same time)

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-24-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM

P