Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil Temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil Temp

I read allot of threads concerning oil temp. Folks installing coolers and gauges. Has anyone actually heard of a touring bike having an oil temp related failure? Just curious if there is really a problem with the oil temp in a touring bike. Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was at dealer today looking at 2012s. All have gone to 103" motors.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the bikes I looked at, touring, all have oil coolers now. Kinda made me wonder if they're getting smarter or trying to address a "problem".

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil temp topic has been beaten to death here. No issues with our air cooled motors and hot temps, they are designed to take it. If your lucky enough to have the time to ride, do it.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Oil cooler is on my list as of yesterdays ride. My bike gets hot and I have got rid of cat. etc. No I have not had a failure but I am surprised at how much heat I can feel on my legs. NOT all the time but I can really feel it on my legs when the bike gets hot and yes it is running better/cooler not in stock form. I hope a oil cooler will help a little bit.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is one where everyone is right and everyone is wrong.......if you are in a metro area and have losts of stop and go traffic...then the other metro riders who are pro oil cooling have the correct answer for you....BUT...if you are a rural rider that can ride the open wind with little or no stops...THEN...the other rural riders that say don't worry about it, its all good, have the correct answer for you.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Oil coolers do little if nothing in town. No air flow. On top of that your engine is at idle and moves much less oil than if at speed. Less volume and you're sitting still. Buy a good synthetic oil and forget about it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Synthetic oil gives you an added edge when running these latest model bikes that run so hot. I've gone to Redline 20W-60 and it seems to have quieted the motor a bit too. My '09 RK on a HOT day will hit 260*+ and in one instance it hit 280*. Usually it's at 240*-250* on most days, maybe 230* on a cool nite ride is the lowest temp you'll get.

No oil cooler yet, these are temps with a stock bike. I'm just now working on completing a Stage I and an Oil Cooler is next on the list. Wanna bring these temps down for longevity reasons.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running amsoil since my 07 was new, it has 65k and runs 260-280 on a warm day and has hit 300 on a hot day running hard with no concerns, as mentioned the motors are built to withstand the high heat and a good synthetic can withstand the high temps, amsoil is rated for 400+ before the viscosity starts to break down. From what I've heard a cooler will cool the oil from 10-20 degrees and only if you are moving they are worthless in stop and go traffic. IMO a cooler is not necessary; it does give piece of mind to some.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a jagg 10 row, we will see. I did it for peace of mind that I made an attempt to make the engine last longer. Sort of changing your oil as scheduled and using high quality synthetic. It's my Insurance policy that I have done everything I could.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rode from DFW to Houston on Saturday. Ride started at 11:00 am and concluded at 3:25. The ambient temp was 100+. Stopped in Centerville for Gatorade and digital dip stick registered 276. The scoot operated flawlessly. If problems arise, well, that's why I have an extended warranty.

Quick Reply: oil Temp