Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtails for baggers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Fishtails for baggers

I have been fighting a squeak,chirp,rattle, and I finally found the source. My left SE Muffler has something loose inside of it. I am going to try to fix it some how, but if i cant I think I'm going to get me some fishtails.

So far I found Samson, V&H, and Bubs as well as some other brands I never heard of. I like the looks of the long Samson's, but can't find any info on whether or not they blue.

Both the V&H and Bub website say they have double wall construction and they do not blue.

What are your experiences with any of the above, and how do you like the sound quality?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a big fishtail fan. I like some of them on the softails. I will say though that Samson pipes with fishtails are hella loud. They sound great

Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have the Vance and Hines fishtails and I love them. Absolutely no bluing, as a heat shield covers the pipes, and with the "quiet" baffles they sound great without obnoxious. I think the newest V&H have a larger diameter muffler, which actually looks better.

The Samson's will blue, especially if the mixture is lean and especially if you ride in hot weather a lot they probably will turn a bit yellow.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter

I have the Vance and Hines fishtails and I love them. Absolutely no bluing, as a heat shield covers the pipes, and with the "quiet" baffles they sound great without obnoxious. I think the newest V&H have a larger diameter muffler, which actually looks better.

The Samson's will blue, especially if the mixture is lean and especially if you ride in hot weather a lot they probably will turn a bit yellow.
Sweet!!! V&H has 2 diameters I like the smaller ones like you have.

Thanks for posting up the pics.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Samson True duals with fishtails come with full coverage heat shields for the headers and do not blue on the slip on portion. I run them on my softail as do numerous others here. I sell a ton of Samson's and can get the best price around.

This is my second set of Samson's and the first set did not blue neither has this one. Why a second set? I went to a 2 into 1 pipe in between the fishtails and sold the last set.

As far as sound quality is concerned, they either come with baffles (non removeable) or no baffles. The no baffle version is quite LOUD and give that killer fishtail deceleration sound. The baffled version has a great sound too, but you don't get the decel sound. What kind of sound are you looking for?

In comparison to the V&H, the Samson's avhe a more classicd looking fishtail on tehm and teh slip portion is all one piece where as the V&H in teh pic have bolt on fishtails that are more like a shark tail IMO.

As far as the bluing issue I would recommend a tuner if you do not have one as the reason that pipes blue is excessive heat and an inproper tune. Please don't take this as a sales pitch, but the truth about the newer Harley engines and the EPA requirements to get them to pass. They have to run extremely lean to pass.

I know this is the touring section, but here is my ride with my new Samson's I added last week. Notice the heat shields on the headers mate up very nicely with the slip on portion of the pipes.

Drew

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Samson True duals with fishtails come with full coverage heat shields for the headers and do not blue on the slip on portion. I run them on my softail as do numerous others here. I sell a ton of Samson's and can get the best price around.

This is my second set of Samson's and the first set did not blue neither has this one. Why a second set? I went to a 2 into 1 pipe in between the fishtails and sold the last set.

As far as sound quality is concerned, they either come with baffles (non removeable) or no baffles. The no baffle version is quite LOUD and give that killer fishtail deceleration sound. The baffled version has a great sound too, but you don't get the decel sound. What kind of sound are you looking for?

In comparison to the V&H, the Samson's avhe a more classicd looking fishtail on tehm and teh slip portion is all one piece where as the V&H in teh pic have bolt on fishtails that are more like a shark tail IMO.

As far as the bluing issue I would recommend a tuner if you do not have one as the reason that pipes blue is excessive heat and an inproper tune. Please don't take this as a sales pitch, but the truth about the newer Harley engines and the EPA requirements to get them to pass. They have to run extremely lean to pass.

I know this is the touring section, but here is my ride with my new Samson's I added last week. Notice the heat shields on the headers mate up very nicely with the slip on portion of the pipes.

Drew
Hey drew, thanks for the feedback and pic. I have true duals (2 separate pipes not connected) they were on it when I bought my bike, the dealership told me they are V&H, but I can't be certain, because they told me some other things that I found to be different. Any how, I have the HD stage 1 download, no tuner. I am after the 36" baffled fishtails. With my current set up, do you think they would discolor?
Also with the non baffled ones, I will venture a guess I would have issues hearing my tunes, correct?

Pm me a price on the 36" baffled slip ons too.

Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

PM sent. My opinion on the stage 1 download is that it really does not do much at all. Since it is a Harley download it still has to adhere to the EPA rules.

Drew

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Drew, I just gotta say - that bike will just about take your breath away! Awesome looking ride!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Anyone have experience with the Bubs? - Non blueing double heat shield and removable baffles, middle of the road for price.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

be careful as they will reach out and bite your legs when you are not looking..ouch!

Quick Reply: Fishtails for baggers