Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

batwing to shark nose

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 PM
j2005ty
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batwing to shark nose

Has anyone switched from an electra glide to a road glide? I have no intentions of getting rid of my street glide, but my buddy has a road glide custom and says it handles the wind a ton better on the road glide. I went from never having a windshield to having a fairing, so to me I'm already spoiled lol. Just more of a curious question than anything.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 1,711 Posts

You asking if anyone has went from one to the other, or converted their batwing to a sharknose? There's lots of threads on here about converting a batwing to sharknose, some with parts lists.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from a 09 street glide to a 11 road glide custom...if i could get my old bike back id do it in a heart beat.. both have pros and cons i like the batwing better but now im stuck with the road glide untill next spring at least..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
j2005ty
6th Gear

More curious about switching from one to the other.. I didn't even think about changing one to the other til now

Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Emdog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FFHD05
i went from a 09 street glide to a 11 road glide custom...if i could get my old bike back id do it in a heart beat.. both have pros and cons i like the batwing better but now im stuck with the road glide untill next spring at least..
Which bike handles the wind and gusts better?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by j2005ty
Has anyone switched from an electra glide to a road glide? I have no intentions of getting rid of my street glide, but my buddy has a road glide custom and says it handles the wind a ton better on the road glide. I went from never having a windshield to having a fairing, so to me I'm already spoiled lol. Just more of a curious question than anything.
Doesn't matter what your buddy says,test ride one and find your own answer.Dumped my sharknose for a batwing and a like it way better.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM
hondo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=j2005ty;8644577]Has anyone switched from an electra glide to a road glide?

Answer = no; I've never owned an EG. In fact I've never owned a batwing. My only experience was a 4 hour rental of a StreetGlide and 4 hour rental of a RoadGlide before buying. I obviously preferred the RoadGlide.

Big Red

Last edited by hondo1; 08-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by j2005ty
I just traded my 2011 Limited for a 2011 CVO RG Ultra. I put 10,000 miles on the Limited and it was an outstanding bike. Your buddy was right the shark nose handles the wind better. It doesn't necessarily have that much better wind protection it just feels more stable and solid on the highway when exposed to wind and turbulence. I alway felt my Limited was a super comfortable touring bike. Very stable and drama free. The RG just takes that solid highway feel up another notch. We're not talking a huge difference here, but the bike definitely has a more refined feel to it. A frame mounted fairing will always hold an edge in that regard.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought my EG in 04 > in 06 bought all the parts and did the switch in MY garage > had fun for two years and then in 08 switched all the parts back... and its stayed that way... I just liked the EG better.. Thats me..

for questions,, PM me and I will give you my home number.. It can be done by the average guy - really not that hard

I now have just over 60K miles on this bike - I have ridden Coast to Coast three times - two as EG and one as RG - ridden in ALL kinds of wind/rain and hail.. for me, I really do not see all the much difference > again, thats me... The strongest cross winds I ever road in was leaving Winslow, AZ on the morning of April 15, 2009 -
10:56 AM 60.1 °F - 26.1 °F 27% 29.52 in 9.0 mi South 43.7 mph 58.7 mph N/A Clear

Sustained at 43.7 and gust at 58.7

Why am I telling you this... Well, that morning I was riding two up with the wife and for me, this was hell on two wheels.. I was doing my best to maintain 45mph and hitting my flashers when I saw trucks coming up.. (this lasted only for 2 hours, thank God)... While I was holding my own at 45, I kept looking in my side mirrors.... Low and behold, I saw a biker coming up at a pretty good clip.... as he passed, he did a quick wave and it was a BAT Wing HD.... and I was on my RG... He looked just fine > seems he had a little me experence with wind than me... If he can ride at that speed with those winds,, I am convinced in the right hands the EG is just fine...

Last edited by harley0711; 08-02-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer

Originally Posted by FFHD05
Could you tell more specifically why? I had an 08 Street Glide and may be in the market for a new bike. I have been looking at the Road Glides as a few have caught my eye (used to disgust the look). Thanks!

Quick Reply: batwing to shark nose