Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocks/Taps during startup 2013 limited (2000 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Limited13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocks/Taps during startup 2013 limited (2000 miles)

I have a 2013 Limited that has roughly 2000 miles on it. When I first crank it up, after it has been sitting over night, I get what appears to be top end rattle but soon as it the oil pressure builds, its gone (see seconds at most).

I have only had the oil changed and did it myself so it has not been to the dealer. The odd thing is it stopped for a few days and it back again.

I am about to install the big radius V&H on it but if it requires a dealer to look at the problem, I would much rather take it to them stock at this point as I continue to hear such upgrades voids my warranty.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
03 Fatboy
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Take it to the Dealer, leave the bike overnight and ask to be there when they start the bike in the morning so you can point out the noise you are concern about.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Limited13
2nd Gear

Yea, trying to avoid the dealer at all costs ..lol.. I bought the bike out of state and drove it back but I just put the race tuner on it yesterday and planned for the pipes today.

After reading a few posts, it almost seems like it a normal thing to hear a slight clatter from the top end as the oil pressure builds.

If I have to, I guess I can just take the race tuner back off and drop it off with them. I really hate the warranty is screwed by the such minor upgrades

Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I don't think I would mess around adding more goodies until you have had the dealer give it an official okey dokey. Sounds like you may have the beginnings of something that could take the engine out. Best they check it out.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 801 Likes on 433 Posts

My 2012 Limited does that too. Dealer said "That's normal" (of course).

Many of the stock 103's are doing it. Seems to be a lifter bleed - down issue. Mine does it worst on cold mornings.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
mattbee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be rude, but heck you have a brand new bike, with hardly any miles on it, and you have detected a possible problem!

Why even ask what should you do-it's a no-brainer take it to the dealership and have them correct/fix the issue

Good Luck!!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Yea I don't think I would mess around adding more goodies until you have had the dealer give it an official okey dokey. Sounds like you may have the beginnings of something that could take the engine out. Best they check it out.
i agree. could be a lifter that's losing prime after sitting a while which could lead to more serious problems down the road. Have it checked before you go start putting performance parts on your bike. Because at that point the HD shop will probably point the finger at your mods as the cause.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Limited13
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ultra103

Many of the stock 103's are doing it. Seems to be a lifter bleed - down issue. Mine does it worst on cold mornings.

Yea, anything below 45 and I hear it.. above that, i dont. But I guess it will only take a few minutes to remove the tuner and drop it off just to play it safe. UGH!!... I so wanted to put my big radius pipes on tonight after work!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Mark5
Road Captain

Some synthetic oils will make the clatter more pronounced.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra103

I dropped in a set of 254e cams at 1200 miles and while doing it, changed the stock lifters to the S&S lifters based on other threads pointing out same issue. Never really noticed it on the stock lifters just didn't want to have to break it down again. Here's 1 link

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...fters-too.html

Quick Reply: Knocks/Taps during startup 2013 limited (2000 miles)