Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV - AutoTune problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV - AutoTune problems

I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this problem over the weekend, and didn't find any answers at hdforums, so please consider this a public service message for others.

I've had a PCV on my 09 Road King for about 2 years now. Recently added 555 cams, and got a new map from FuelMoto, but wasn't 100% happy with the fuel mileage I was getting or the performance, so I decided to add an AutoTune module.

I had recently updated both the desktop software and the firmware on my PCV to make sure everything was up to date with the latest and greatest before adding the AT.

All the directions, both from FuelMoto and from DynoJet, describe the older style AT with one module for each O2 sensor. The model I received was a single unit designed to control both O2 sensors. Also, the interface on the desktop software has changed at some point, and both FuelMoto's and DynoJet's instructions still talk about the legacy user interface. Lots of things have moved around in the software, although with some poking around, you can still figure things out.

After installing everything, the software showed 0.0 for both O2 sensor AFRs. I checked the CAN cable, CAN terminator, O2 sensor harness connections, AT module harness connections.

The instructions from FuelMoto tell you that you must install a CAN terminator both on the AT module, and on the PCV module. However, only one CAN terminator was included. I tried putting it on the AT, and on the PCV. In looking at the CAN terminator, it seemed like just a jumper between the outside pins on the CAN connector. So, I tried using one CAN terminator and jumping the outside pins on the other device.

All of this took a number of hours of troubleshooting various combinations. I searched all the Harley forums I knew, the documentation, the DynoJet FAQs, etc to no avail.

I tried updating the software and firmware a second time. Still no go.

Finally, I found a forum post on a sportbike forum where someone mentioned a similar problem, and Dynojet having them update the firmware multiple times in a row to get it to work. As many as 3 or 4 times, one right after another.

I was at my wits' end, so figured it was worth a shot. I updated the firmware for a third time, and like magic, everything started working.

This is not intended as a slam on Dynojet or FuelMoto, but in case others run into a similar problem, perhaps this will help. I never received any errors updating the firmware - it always said it completed 100% successfully, so there'd be no obvious reason to try doing it over and over.

Heading to Sturgis on Friday - hope the rest of you making the trip have a safe and enjoyable ride.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I kind of had a similar problem, then one time when I was ready to give up I had the bike running and let it run long enough to get past that 60 second delay. Like majic the AFR started showing up. My only question for Dynojet or anyone else running the new software with Autotune is; does the "autotune running" indication turn green and stay green, or does it only turn green when you move the throttle. I sent Dynojet an email last week, still no response. Maybe Jamie will jump in here and solve the mystery :-)

Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

I agree, while it is generally pretty self explanatory Dynojet needs to update their instructions for these updates, not sure on the reference to "Fuel Moto instructions" as all of the directions are directly from Dynojet. The AT requires only 1 CAN termination plug which goes into the open port on the AT unit. In the new software when the Auto Tune Running light goes green it means the AT is making trim adjustments, it will only do this when specified from the AFR table. Because we are generally not auto tuning the idle area and there is not an AFR value in the map in these cells the AT will not be running at that time. Users are welcome to contact us at 877-729-4754 during business hours and many times if you send me an email I can help out on the weekend.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Jamie. By the "FuelMoto instructions," I was talking about those included with the package. Forgive me for assuming they were from your team. Sounds like DynoJet is behind on updating their documentation.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
In the new software when the Auto Tune Running light goes green it means the AT is making trim adjustments, it will only do this when specified from the AFR table. Because we are generally not auto tuning the idle area and there is not an AFR value in the map in these cells the AT will not be running at that time. Users are welcome to contact us at 877-729-4754 during business hours and many times if you send me an email I can help out on the weekend.
Thanks Jamie! Kind of what I was figuring since the AFR were constantly changing except when I blipted the throttle a couple of times.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

An AutoTune from FuelMoto is one of my next goals over the next couple months...

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the 555 cams installed by Jamie on July 13. I have put 3500 miles on the bike sense the mod. I also have the auto tune with the PCV. Jamie did a quick Dyno on my bike.

My AFR's are very rich. 13.4 to 13.2 I did suffer a lot on gas mileage on the mod. It did improve when the Auto tune started to make changes. But I noticed the bike is running so much cooler and it runs so good!!! I decided to try and make changed to the AFR so after 1000 miles on Jamies Dyno tune I accepted the trims and saved it for my base map. Then I changed the AFR's to 13.8 and 13.6. I did not really like the change and my gas mileage did improve slightly. The change has now made me decide to run the rich map.

I ran a tank of gas through the bike monitoring my take off speed and stayed below 65 with the rich map. Gas mileage with the rich map stayed around 39. Before 32 to 35. With my lean map of 13.8 it stayed around 40.

Here is what I notice. I had been giving it more throttle than I needed to. Also everytime I seem to hit 70 or above the mileage really dropped. Check your throttle habits and maybe that will make a difference.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
sarge26110
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this kinda off the subject, but i would like some input on fuel mang, power commander vison, or zippers thundermax. Of course everybody has there own opinion, but i'm more of a diy and theres not a dyno anywhere close to me, at least one i would trust. Its going on a 11 fltrx 103, fatcat 2-1, fuelmoto ac

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, save money in the long run and try a thundermax. It is the way to go. By the time your done doing this and that the T-max will have learned itself right and adjusts as you ride, great milage, great throttle response. Believe me, it is one awesome piece that cost about 1k but damn worth it.