Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM
rbrpulling
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered rear shocks from Howard this last summer. They installed great and after I adjusted them correctly according to his instructions I loved them. Rode 2700 miles on our trip to Sturgis and loved them even more. Yesterday I traded my bike in and let the shocks go with the bike to get the deal done. Missed them all the way home, I will be getting another set this winter guaranteed. Thanks Howard for a great product.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 AM
radeke
Stage I
Thumbs up New shocks for my 07 SG

I realized it was time to replace the stock rear shocks on my 07 SG. Thanks to this site I became more informed on what worked and what didn't. Another pair of air shocks? uh…no. I definitely wanted coil overs. Progressive shocks? I considered them. But after learning about Howard, checking out his website and what he had to offer in the way of Ohlins, it was a no brainer. For a few dollars more than a pair of Progressives (out of the box) I got a great pair of shocks personally built for me, great advice and great service. To the best of my knowledge, there's nobody out there that does what he does. Thanks Howard. And yeah, it rides better than it ever has.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Rampant
Tourer

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
I do agree with others that the website is very confusing, it's hard to tell which pictures go with what descriptions. Maybe he should trade some shocks for some website work.
yeah, agreed. I'd take that offer too!!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 PM
djack
Road Master
Default ohlins

Originally Posted by Hoblick
first ill start out with my review of the shocks.
i bought a set of Ohlins #2~#2 (A) shocks
by far these are the best set of shocks i have had on the SG. I have been through stock HD air shocks, HD air shocks modified by Ron at bitchin baggers, and Progressive 940 ultra tour shocks.

the ohlins are just better in every way period. i have a comfortable, controlled ride. the stability in the corners is perfect, 2 up riding is awesome. Im not gonna lie and say i dont feel any bumps, but the bumps that used to throw me off my seat, dont now. the tire is always in contact with the road, and these shocks havent bottomed out once, and i have hit some major bumps with them. the biggest thing for me is they just give me more confidence in the bike, and the bikes suspension. ill say one thing alot of other people have... it makes wanting more out of the front suspension. and i have changed the front suspension numerous times and i cant find anything that matches the quality and stability that the rear has now. the front end is my weak link at the moment.

another thing.. stop looking around for a different shock, in the end youll go with the ohlins. thats IF your wanting something special out of the suspension. if your not an aggressive rider, stock suspension might suit you well. or if you have become accustomed to the way your stock air shocks ride then you may not have a desire to upgrade. but if you are wanting to get more from your suspension, dont waste your money on anything else. Just go straight to the Ohlins. for the price of the #2 shocks you cant go wrong. i can only imagine how the higher end ohlins shocks ride.

Now my review of Howard - Owner of Motorcycle Metal.
he knows alot.. i mean alot about suspension. and thats a good thing!
but in my perspective he thinks you should already know about shocks. thats not how it works. We all dont know in depth about shocks and suspension, hence why we are on a search for what will work best for us, and some of us are budget minded.

I called to gain some knowledge and find out what he thought would work best for my setup. the answer i received is "well, you need to find that out for yourself"

now im gonna guess about 90% of us guys on the board get alot of knowledge from the board. we heard about the ohlins shocks on here, and there are so many models. what works for us? who knows, all we know is other forum members liked them and they are the holy grail of shocks so to speak.

so it would be nice if howard could point us in a good direction, since we are calling to find out about his products and are in the market to buy.

2nd ive never heard another sales person dog other products as much as Howard. i asked him about progressive products and what his thoughts were, specifically the mono tubes, since id want something to compliment the ohlins. which in reply he stated "i dont know, i dont sell junk" "if your wanting to buy junk your in the wrong place, i only sell premium stuff, youll wont see progressive on the podium on race day"

the first time i called him after i talked to him i swore i wasnt gonna buy shocks from him cause he just had a bad attitude, and was kind of offensive really. In the end i had to look past that, i wanted the ohlins and he is the only one i know of that sells them.

i think he may need some sales/business/communication training or something. if he could have a better attitude towards his customers it would drive his sales through the roof. it was jsut a bad customer service experience for me.

it feels like he belittles you cause you should already know about his product or something.. he refers to his website, all the info is on the website. the website is so hard to navigate through i dont know how anyone could get any good info from there.

good point though.. i put my order in on a monday got the shocks on a wed! 3 days for hand built shocks. thats fast! and his prices were more than fair.

so in conclusion, if you want a set of amazing shocks for a good price buy the ohlins, but just know youll have to take some **** to get them.
Lol I agree with you all the way, Howards suspension knowledge and work ethics are beyond reproach, you wont get that anywhere.

Last edited by djack; 11-09-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Uffda
Intermediate

Everyone is different, but IMO, I admire people that 'Give it to me straight'. I can take it. Sure it pisses me off if you are right and I am wrong, but I don't hold it against you. Why would I? In fact, I'd probably respect you a little more for not blowing sunshine up my butt.

It's like when you are training another young apprentice, you can tell them something that you know to be true. They don't listen and want to make the same mistakes you may have made to learn what you know. So you try to tell them what they need to know in a manner that makes them think. Some get pissed off, some just do as they are told, and some listen and learn how to think things through for themselves. If someone is willing to share knowledge with you, it is a gift and should be appreciated as such. If you ask a silly question and you get your *** ripped, that's a gift too as if the 'giver' didn't care about you, he'd not say anything.

When I rip somebody's butt off, I do try to make sure they can still 'feel the love', some do and some dont...

Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 AM
THEBUNGEE
Stage I
Default Transatlantic transaction

I've dealt with Howard twice now as he is the cheapest guy for Öhlins suspension anywhere, and having done a bit of racing in the 90s here in Ireland I know that Öhlins make the some of the best, if not the best, suspension in the world.
He's shipped to me here in Northern Ireland with no hassle, he even 'helped me out' with the import duty and tax that we get screwed with over here on parts from the US, which saved me a bundle.
He is very knowledgeable about suspension and I found him to be a straight talking guy, which most ex servicemen and Racers are, and I prefer that, and If you listen, you might just learn something.
I will definitely deal with Howard again, and I've recommended him to all my friends here in Ulster.
As we say here, keep her lit!

Last edited by THEBUNGEE; 11-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by THEBUNGEE
I've dealt with Howard twice now as he is the cheapest guy for Öhlins suspension anywhere, and having done a bit of racing in the 90s here in Ireland I know that Öhlins make the some of the best, if not the best, suspension in the world.
He's shipped to me here in Northern Ireland with no hassle, he even 'helped me out' with the import duty and tax that we get screwed with over here on parts from the US, which saved me a bundle.
He is very knowledgeable about suspension and I found him to be a straight talking guy, which most ex servicemen and Racers are, and I prefer that, and If you listen, you might just learn something.
I will definitely deal with Howard again, and I've recommended him to all my friends here in Ulster.
As we say here, keep her lit!
Hi Jeff from across the Irish Sea and welcome to HDF! I also have Howard's Ohlins, which I suspect passed overhead on the way from Sweden to him, so they could come back to England!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 755 Likes on 282 Posts

Here's what I know. I emailed Howard to ask him some questions about suspension. Overall, his response was, "call me". So when I got back to the US, I did. What I found out was that he listened to what I said, he then summarized what I was looking for, and gave me recommendations....no hard sell. No BS. I ordered them the next day. Followed his install instructions, though I had to call him over a minor adjustment on the exhaust,(I have to admit, they were a bit confusing in some areas, but I'm no rocket surgeon), and went for a spin without doing any other adjustments other than what Howard dialed in at his shop.......the ride was like buttah. I may make some minor adjustments, but for the most part, I couldn't be more pleased. Best $$ I've spent on something other than HP or torque. And as far as Howards "persona" as some others have mentioned? Get over it. Straight shooter. No hard sell. No BS. I get tired of all the fluffers out there that can't take an honest straightforward answer. Motorcycle Metal is the way to go. Thanks Howard!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Cross Bone
Intermediate
Default Model Number(s) recommendations?

Okay so... before I call Howard and wonder into something unexpected.. I didnt read all 19 pages of this thread (and didn't think it was right to start a new thread) so...what Ohlins shocks do I need for my 2014 Street glide?

I am 195 and ride 1-up 80% time.
Wife is 105.

My riding style:
Unfortunately I ride mostly straight line roads in SE Texas so Id say a plush ride is desired. When we take a trip to the mountains and hit the twisties I typically carve to the point of scraping the floorboards. I am assuming I would take the spanner tool and could change the settings while on weekend trips? Thank you. Bone

Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 755 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross Bone
Okay so... before I call Howard and wonder into something unexpected.. I didnt read all 19 pages of this thread (and didn't think it was right to start a new thread) so...what Ohlins shocks do I need for my 2014 Street glide?

I am 195 and ride 1-up 80% time.
Wife is 105.

My riding style:
Unfortunately I ride mostly straight line roads in SE Texas so Id say a plush ride is desired. When we take a trip to the mountains and hit the twisties I typically carve to the point of scraping the floorboards. I am assuming I would take the spanner tool and could change the settings while on weekend trips? Thank you. Bone
Just call Howard at MM.......he'll hook you up....seriously......no hard sell, but a TON of info......

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins