Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NightRider XIED’s - FL-ViED-10 or FL-XiED-10 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
I installed my set of FL VIED 10s this weekend. Plug and play, grounded to the battery terminal on my RKC and took maybe 5 minutes. I had a nice conversation with the guy before ordering and he seemed knowledgeable. I set them 50% with a SE intake, gutted cat and de-baffled totally to an open exhaust.

It ran okay at 50% and I could actually smell it was burning a little richer when I started in the garage. It felt a little flat and a sluggish at 50% on my first ride with the new intake. I pulled over and adjusted them to 75% and wow did that help. Runs really strong at 75% and I happy with the performance.

One note is it sounded like it took a extra crank or two to start it with my new intake and VIEDS. I installed the intake and never ran it so not sure if its the intake or VIEDS but I only rode it once since the install.
How do you like the sound of your exhaust with no Cat or Baffles? I am thinking of doing that once I get a FL-ViAD-10 from Nightrider.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jackpot 2-1-2, SE Ventilator AC, Stage 1 DL and FL-ViEDS-10, bike runs great. More than enough power for me and my girl. 350 Pounds together loaded.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced for 4 years. These are not race bikes. Just wanted to get rid of the heat.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM
HeritageRider2012
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Heritage Softail Classic. Mods are: Screaming Eagle Slip-ons that have been slightly modified to open them up more, Screamin' Eagle air breather for increased air flow, NGK Iridium plugs, and the FL-Xied 10s from Nightrider. There was quite a bit of backfiring on deceleration before installing the Xieds. After installation of the Xieds, the backfiring is gone, the exhaust tone is lower, and the bike is more responsive. I don't know if it runs cooler or not since I don't have a temp gauge, but it seems to not put off as much heat as before. Xieds are not intended to produce high performance, but they do exactly what they are designed for.

Last edited by HeritageRider2012; 04-14-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
How do you like the sound of your exhaust with no Cat or Baffles? I am thinking of doing that once I get a FL-ViAD-10 from Nightrider.
The sound has improved to my ear. A little louder but not much. Deep sound but not over the top.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM
flewbyu
Advanced

I just posted a set of FL-ViED-10s in Misc Parts for Sell. Anyone interested check em out. They did what I needed them to do until I went PowerVision.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDOC
I still have the cat in the header 2011 FLHTK 2" baffles and SEAC, plug and plug right were you discribe, have mine set at 14-1 works for me, without the cat you can add more fuel with vied.
I asked Nightrider the maker of the VIED & XIED why you need Xied FL-XIED-10 with the cat or FL-XIED-10TFF without the cat or why they recommend a 50% setting with the cat and 25% setting without the cat on the VIED. This was the reply I got: "Generally the VIED's want settings around the 25% rich area once the converter is removed. This is actually to compensate for reversion bringing fresh air to the sensors (which is seen as a lean mixture and actually adds some fuel), so the VIED needs to be 'turned down' some to compensate. The net effect is you are still running (and adjusting) to get the ECM to run in closed loop at 14.0:1, but you have to back off on the VIED settings to stabilize the voltage readings with the lower settings because of the fresh air that can get to the O2 sensors with the converter removed" So apparently removing the cat actually makes the bike run richer not leaner as most people believe. They also recommend the FL-XIED-10TFF or running 25% on the VIED if you keep the cat in but change to slip-ons with larger then a 1.75" baffle.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yea yea

Any updates from people who have gone with Xieds on touring bike with or with out cat? Just put on Rineharts wunder if these would be a bit of insurance so bike isn't running to lean? I don't have any real symptoms of lean except heat?
Hap

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Any updates from people who have gone with Xieds on touring bike with or with out cat? Just put on Rineharts wunder if these would be a bit of insurance so bike isn't running to lean? I don't have any real symptoms of lean except heat?
Hap

I have been running them on my bike for almost 2 years now with NO issues what so ever. Bike is a little more responsive, a lot cooler and runs great. Have a catless headpipe, klockwerks SS 4 inch slip ons and a big sucker air cleaner. They will bump up the fuel in the area that you normally ride in and take care of the lean. If ALL you are doing is a stage 1, this is all you will need. If your future plans include stage 2 or above, get a tuner now so you don't waste 125 bucks. Good luck dude, stay safe.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

Same as above, I've had them on for 2 years with no issues. I can't say my bike runs cooler, but it does work good. I have no other engine mods other than Rinehart pipes, and a Catless header. Fuel economy is great, no decel popping, no engine pinging. All good in my books. I have mine set at just below 50%, say 40 / 45%.

Quick Reply: NightRider XIED’s - FL-ViED-10 or FL-XiED-10 ?