Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ultra classic-why so many little PIA problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ultra classic-why so many little PIA problems!

I don't want this to be a bitch session, but after just turning 12,000 miles I've acquired a decent list of problems so far. This is my first Harley, and I will say I do love riding this bike. Put some Rush slip-ons on and the rumble at cruising speed is sweet. I had a goldwing for 15 years before this, so I am not used to issues. I did however, start to fall asleep from boredom so that is why the trade. Anyway, here are the problems I have had or am having now. Maybe if some of you have solved any of these you can help me out.

1.Got rained on at 1,000 miles. Radio went blank. Dryed out and started working again after a couple days, except the aux jack. Dealership replaced the radio.

2.Front left speaker blown-dealership replaced.

3.Right side slip on yellowing-Rush sent new pipes with 2 1/2" baffles instead of the 2 1/4" that I had and said that should fix it.

4.Heel toe shifter fell off turning a corner. Put it back on and locktighted it. Can the dealer not do that in the first place?

5.Ticking noise coming from somewhere around the motor. Worst when just cruising, not decel or accel. Getting worse and really overpowering even with the radio turned on full. Service manager rode it and said it was normal, but I should find an open road and do 10 'hole shots' to try to slip a cog?? WTF?? I did it and it didn't help a damn bit.

6.Annoying squeaking noise from somewhere, mostly during accel.

7.Front right speaker blown out now. Will probably just put in some better speakers at my cost. Even when both were working they weren't all that loud. Any suggestions?

8.Pipes are yellowing again. I can live with that, but it didn't fix the problem like they said.

9.AVC volume control on the radio doesn't work. When it's turned on, adjusting the volume up doesn't change after 1/2 way. Then adjusting the volume down will cause it to increase sometimes. With the AVC off it works fine. I think the radio is junk.

I guess I did make this into a bitch session, but I can't believe Harley riders have to put up with this little crap. Maybe the motor is pretty much bulletproof, but after 4 trips to the dealer 70 miles away, I'm started to get pissed.
I had a Boss Hoss for a couple years, and I had not one issue in 10,000 miles with that. Am I expecting too much from a motorcycle? If it wasn't for the sound and FEEL, I would be on something different.

I know some of you will tell me to go back to the metric's, or quit being a little bitch. But seriously, with today's tech why do we have to put up with this stuff?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

What are you doing wrong? I have 18K on my 10 Ultra and 0 problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

not seeing it either, 18k on my 2010, zero issues.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I've Taken Notice!

Sounds like the radio issues are pretty common? among the Harleys? I realize that there is nothing to talk about when things are working well but I have heard an inordinant amount of complaints on this forum as to the quality of the radio systems that come stock on these bikes. I have never owned a bike with a radio and after hanging out here the past few years I don't know that I would care to. Riding is a fairy harsh environment. I wonder if the Hondas or BMWs have these same radio problems?
As for the muffler discoloration, that would be more of a Rush problem vs. Harley. With respect to the shift lever, you should "go over" your bike now and then with a wrench to "check things over". As far as I can tell this is common to ALL makes. I haven't had any big issues with my Road King yet.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

No problems here with 9500 miles.

Sounds like you should take it back to the dealer with a bitch list.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wont get or find a rush muffler that doesnt turn yellow...cheap chrome i guess..I have seen hundreds change color...they are good however at replacing them....usually...

And the audio system in harley's is junk!!!! 1 out of 10 work correctly for any amount of time.....

Last edited by Coolhawg6622; 08-15-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM
jerryleon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17k on my 09 uc, only problem i have had is the brake switch.....

GOTTA ADD, MY STEALER WANTED 130.00+ TO REPLACE SWITCH, MY INDY DID IT FOR 41.00.......GO FIGURE !

Last edited by jerryleon; 08-15-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: MORE INFO
Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM
FLTRU4ME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 ultras and never a minutes problem with the radios. 04 and '10 and the '10 is one of the best radios I"ve listened too. Maybe I'm deaf enough it doesn't matter. Really I don't guess I had any problem with either.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

The only problem I've had with my 08 Ultra is when it snows. Can't ride it.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two Ultras. An 06 and now an 11. I have had no issues. Both of the radios have worked fine. In regards to the speakers, yes they are not the best. I immediately changed mine out and installed the Hog Tunes. Maybe not the best, but I get a lot better sound out of them. Sounds like you got a Harley, that was put together on a Monday. I had Rush pipes on my 06 and they yellowed, too. I changed them out with Bassai slip-ons and have no problems with these pipes. They are now on the 11 and still no yellowing.

Last edited by Cougar1959; 08-15-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 ultra classic-why so many little PIA problems!