Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide Tranny Knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Street Glide Tranny Knock

First post on the forum, wish it was a positive one. Been a hang around for awhile and found very useful tips from a lot of threads. Recently purchased a 2011 SG, love the bike. Hit 1850 miles and after a ride home from work pulled up to the garage and tried to put it in neutral. Was real stiff to shift and it also clunked hard on a downshift on the ride home. Finally found neutral let out the clutch and noticed a knocking sound from the transmission. Pulled the clutch in and it stopped. Runs smooth and quiet in gear also. Next day took it to the local dealership. Ran fine on the way until it got hot and then started again but only in neutral with the clutch out. Tech said they all do it and adjusted my clutch and checked tranny fluid. He fired up another one and let it run so I could hear the noise and it sounded nothing like mine. The GM I purchased the bike from was not there at the time. Plan on going back and talking with him. First service was done at 1,000 miles and switched to syn3 so the fluid is clean. Now I am just worried about getting stranded. Saw an old thread on here with a similar issue but didn't see a resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

I also have a 11 SG with about the same miles on it. Shifting was notchy and finding neutral was a PIA for the first 500 miles, then, it was just a PIA to find nuetral. At the 1k service - all fluids were changed to sythetic and the clutch was adjusted. All shifting is smooth and nuetral is easy to get.

There is no "knocking sound" in the tranny when going into nuetral and downshifting is not notchy on my 11. If they have adjusted the clutch and you still have issues with down shifting and nuetral, best to bring it back when the manager is in and discuss it with him and have them fix it. It is still under warranty, so if they will not make it right at least you can go to another dealer and have them look at it. Hope you get is resolved quick once the manager gets back.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '11 SG 103 and have the same noise - at least from what you describe. I was told by my dealer that it's not necessarily a tranny noise, but the automatic tensioner for the primary drive chain. I was lead to believe that it may not have tightened up enough and that's the sound of the chain slapping on the inside of the primary. My bike is in for a new front tire (cracked down the side wall and is being replaced under warranty), to check that noise and properly adjust the clutch, and new SE255 cams. We'll see if the noise goes away or not.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 PM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear

Tech told me the same thing about the tensioner and the primary chain. I don't know if I buy it. I have the 103 also. Mine only seems to knock when hot and the hotter it gets the louder it becomes. I would think that the chain would fall into place on the tensioner relativley quickly. Started about 50 miles ago and is still there. Been holding off on any long rides rather not get stranded. I'd appreciate if you let me know how it works out for you. I'll do the same. I'd also be intrested to know of the gain in torque you get from the new cams. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

His initial suggestion was to get out on the highway and just rap on the throttle hard, go through a few gears and really crank it out. Although it was fun, it didn't solve the issue. I'm doubting that it's the tensioner as well. We'll see on Friday. I'll let you know about the cams as well. I'm excited to find out myself!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Latraveler
Advanced
Default neutral rattle

My 07 FLHTC developed a ticking type of noise in neutral that went away when I pulled the clutch lever in. The noise is on the right side of the transmission and starts after the bike warms up. I took it to two dealers and they both said that it was a new noise for them. The last dealer called HD Tech and was told that it was a neutral rattle and everything was ok. The tech center issued me a reference number in case I heard other noises. I've put 8,000 miles on it since I first heard the rattle without any problems.

Roger

Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Did the noise ever go away or does it continue? Just something you've gotten used to?

Originally Posted by Latraveler
My 07 FLHTC developed a ticking type of noise in neutral that went away when I pulled the clutch lever in. The noise is on the right side of the transmission and starts after the bike warms up. I took it to two dealers and they both said that it was a new noise for them. The last dealer called HD Tech and was told that it was a neutral rattle and everything was ok. The tech center issued me a reference number in case I heard other noises. I've put 8,000 miles on it since I first heard the rattle without any problems.

Roger

Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine made same noise it is the clutch rod not seated right it will usually go away with a clutch adj mine did

Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

I told the tech to make sure he adjusted the clutch as well. Hopefully that's all it is and it goes away.

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
mine made same noise it is the clutch rod not seated right it will usually go away with a clutch adj mine did

Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Latraveler
Advanced

jackjr, the noise hasn't gone away but I ride wearing a full face helmet and don't hear the noise then. I've just gotten used to the noise but I guess I should try to adjust the clutch to see if that will fix it.

Roger

Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide Tranny Knock