Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible cam chain tensioner noise

Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Jmehaff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible cam chain tensioner noise

Started noticing a noise mostly on the right side of my '00 EG Classic. I'm the second owner, 2 yrs now, and the bike has 85K miles. I've read many of the post here relating to this issue and wanted to see if I could get some more info. The noise that I'm hearing as I can describe it would be very similar to the noise that older cars would make when the timing was off and the cars would knock on acceleration. It is constant and more audible in 3rd and 4th and in the area of 2500-3000 RPM range and of course, follows the throttle. More throttle more noise. Any help, any suggestions or any ideas? I'm taking the bike in later in the week to pay Harley the 80 bucks for the hour to remove the cover and verify/troubleshoot the matter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts
Default RE: Possible cam chain tensioner noise

Don't rule out something going on in the primary. Either a loose primary chain or a loose comp nut. Even though the sound seems to be coming from the right side it can be misleading, especially on an E-Glide.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Jmehaff
Novice

Thanks Big, a while back had to replace the stator and thought the same thing, primary chain, that compensator nut has a torque of 150-165 ft lbs. I even installed a Hayden M6 auto chain tensioner last week, no noticeable difference. Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Then the primary may not be the source. Even though that comp nut has a really high torque spec, it can still cause a problem. On some years (can't remember which off the top of my head) the comp nut was actually too long so it would bottom out before the full clamp load was applied. This happened on my '99. Harley has since corrected this issue by selling a shim to place under the nut. Others have solved the problem by machining the nut down a few thou.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine sound like somebody threw a handful of quarters in my motor. The S&S 510 gear drive setup is going in next week. I have everything here just waiting to start my vacation on Monday. The $80 a hr to find out, peace of mind is far cheaper than if they were to fail. Drop the exhaust and pull the cover yourself. It's not that hard of of job. Just drink the beer after the work is done.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,941 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Pull the cover yourself and have a look-see. Take the $80 and spend it on chrome or beer

Old 11-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Jmehaff
Novice

All, thanks for your input. I did drop the exhaust and pulled the nose cone. the outer tensioner came apart. As I seperated the the nose cone from the case, parts fell out. Not a good sign, looks like 3 pieces. So, I'm having an independant dealer do the work. With all said, any other suggestions or precautions? Thanks again.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jmehaff

I did drop the exhaust and pulled the nose cone. the outer tensioner came apart. As I seperated the the nose cone from the case, parts fell out. Not a good sign, looks like 3 pieces. So, I'm having an independant dealer do the work. With all said, any other suggestions
Buy a lottery ticket. It's your lucky day.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

don't forget the ol timers stethascope for locating problems. A cutoff broom handle will work too. just hold one end of the handle cupped arrond your ear and touch the other end of the broom handle to different areas of your bike. The harder the handle the more the sound will go to your ear. You can locate the area the sound is comeing from this way.
If the sound is in the cam area the sound of clunking, chattering whirling ect will come from that area.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Freeway
Advanced

Jmehaff, can you describe your noise in a little more detail? It sounds similar to what's going on with my 03 Road Glide. I have a metallic knocking noise between 2500 - 3000 rpms, in and out of gear, and it has a sort of "rattle-y" quality to it if I drop to a lower gear and lug it a bit.

I've been thinking it's the compensator nut but now your post has me wondering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible cam chain tensioner noise