Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Default Resetting the ECM?

Can someone describe how you reset the ECM?

Something about turning the ignition on/off three times very quickly?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Road Captain
Send a message via Yahoo to dohadex
Red face Resetting ECM...

Turning the ignition on/off three times will reset the ECM when the "limp home" mode is in effect. This will usually clear it.

What was the reason you need to do this?

"...suddenly...commit random acts of coolness..."[SIGPIC]
Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Road Warrior

When you are turning the ignition off and on be sure the run/stop switch is in run position. You don't do it very quickly. Turn it on, wait a couple of seconds, turn off, repeat

2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum , 2002 Big Dog Pitbull
1980 FXWG Shovelhead
Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM

OK thanks. The reason I was wondering is because I will be installing a Zippers Maxflow in a few weeks(on an otherwise stock bike), and read somewhere that it's a good idea to reset the ECM afterwards.

My plans include some SE Fatshotz and a Stage 1 download on the stock ECM next spring.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Road Captain
Send a message via Yahoo to dohadex

There is no "resetting" required then if you plan to put those peices on. What you should think about is a fuel management module...Power Commander V, or something similar. DO NOT waste your Canadian $$ on a Stage 1 download!

Please do some research on this forum about this. That's how I learned and it was the best sourse of info regarding fuel injection subjects. It seams complicated at first....but it's really not too bad.

Good luck.

"...suddenly...commit random acts of coolness..."[SIGPIC]
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohadex View Post
There is no "resetting" required then if you plan to put those peices on. What you should think about is a fuel management module...Power Commander V, or something similar. DO NOT waste your Canadian $$ on a Stage 1 download!

Please do some research on this forum about this. That's how I learned and it was the best sourse of info regarding fuel injection subjects. It seams complicated at first....but it's really not too bad.

Good luck.
Thing is that, there are no tuner shops anywhere near here. There is a Harley dealer 20 min across the border in Caribou Maine, that's it. I wouldn't know the first thing about setting a fuel processor, so I figured I'd hop over to the HD shop in Caribou and get the download on the stock ECM.

I also heard about some units being pre-programmed for your particular application, but other than working around the battery area, I would be comfortable lifting the tank and such. Tried it once on my 05 Nomad, and ended up kinking the fuel line and shorting another wire.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Hang Around

I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator on my '01 Road King EFI. When I put it all back together and plugged everything back up the LED fuel and battery lights toggle back and forth and the bike will not start. Do you think an ECM "reset" will remedy this DoHaDex. Prior to disassembling the tank, battery cable, etc the fuel and battery read out was working just fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinKruuz View Post
I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator on my '01 Road King EFI. When I put it all back together and plugged everything back up the LED fuel and battery lights toggle back and forth and the bike will not start. Do you think an ECM "reset" will remedy this DoHaDex. Prior to disassembling the tank, battery cable, etc the fuel and battery read out was working just fine.
Check the condition of your fuses.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
Thing is that, there are no tuner shops anywhere near here. There is a Harley dealer 20 min across the border in Caribou Maine, that's it. I wouldn't know the first thing about setting a fuel processor, so I figured I'd hop over to the HD shop in Caribou and get the download on the stock ECM.

I also heard about some units being pre-programmed for your particular application, but other than working around the battery area, I would be comfortable lifting the tank and such. Tried it once on my 05 Nomad, and ended up kinking the fuel line and shorting another wire.
In my opinion the stage downloads are a waste of money. They are a one time shot and since they are generic, they are not specific to your customization.

I would advise that you give FuelMoto a call/email and see what they can offer with your setup. The nice thing about having a tuner is that it will be a much closer match (if not spot on) to your customizations AND it can be reprogrammed as you continue to customize.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

on for 30 seconds, off 30 seconds, repeat 4 times this is a throttle reset and yes it should be done any time you disconnect the ecm
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM

P