Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Crash Bar Mounting Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Crash Bar Mounting Lights?

Ok, from a previous thread I made regarding the HD LED light not being bright during the day time.. Wondering if anyone has some good crash bar mounted lights that they like? I'd love them in black, as my crash bar is black.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're willing to consider another mounting option than on your crash bar:

http://www.motolight.com/

A bit pricey but very effective at presenting a larger light image to traffic.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These look great actually.. They are a bit on the high side.. Just dropped $400 something for the HD LED.. Man, $800 for lighting.. Safety is priority though. can't put a price tag on that.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

my thoughts- crash bar mounted lights will partially illuminate the front wheel at night- reflections from the wheel off to your sides are distracting- tried on a run through the desert on I 10. turned them off, then took them off.

so then i looked at the other units---- if the priority is being seen, these lights are mounted too low.

I don't have a positive suggestion at this point- in AZ it is legal to run high beam in the day so I do- I dip my light ( thus bringing in the passing lights) if i see someone who's eye i want to catch.

mike

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
my thoughts- crash bar mounted lights will partially illuminate the front wheel at night- reflections from the wheel off to your sides are distracting- tried on a run through the desert on I 10. turned them off, then took them off.

so then i looked at the other units---- if the priority is being seen, these lights are mounted too low.

I don't have a positive suggestion at this point- in AZ it is legal to run high beam in the day so I do- I dip my light ( thus bringing in the passing lights) if i see someone who's eye i want to catch.

mike
The police guys in my area run the caliper mounted lights on their FLHPs and FLHTPs and they really do catch your attention. They may be low, but they add vertical size to your light pattern.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 PM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD fog lights on my SG - the contrast in light color (I have a LED headlight) is noticeable to oncoming traffic, as is the larger triangle pattern. Unfortunately they only come in chrome. I really would have liked smoked lenses, but that isn't even available..

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the engine guard lights from HD, I like them, no complaints. They are about 75x75 foot light radius in front and sides. They are 55 watts so you will be seen for long distance.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Check out custom dyanmics web site they have very thin low profile leds for the crash bar,there perfect for what your lookin for

Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Ok, from a previous thread I made regarding the HD LED light not being bright during the day time.. Wondering if anyone has some good crash bar mounted lights that they like? I'd love them in black, as my crash bar is black.
I started out with the HD engine guard lights. They do make the bike noticeable to cars in daytime even though their light output at night isn't that great. But I found them distracting at night because they reflected off my windshield and chrome forks, so I took them off and decided to get a pair that mount forward of the forks.

I ended up adding these to my bike. $139 delivered and because they have 4 Cree 1800 lumen leds each they are incredibly bright and really light up the road. They don't come with a wiring harness so you'll have to come up with that on your end. I have mine wired to my auxiliary light switch and mounted them to my upper brake caliper bolts using brackets I got at a home center for about $5. Sorry, no pics now as the bike's at the shop. http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/78

If you don't mind spending more, these Denali D3s have a good rep, and still much cheaper than the Motolights. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6158/

Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
kpb46
Road Master

These may work and these are good people to deal with

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...s/dl-1watt.htm

Quick Reply: Good Crash Bar Mounting Lights?