Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide Allergic to Rain it seems...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM
xtek95
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Street Glide Allergic to Rain it seems...

A couple of weeks ago i got caught out in a rain storm, rode for maybe 20 miles in fairly heavy rain....the next day i noticed that my horn no longer works.

This past weekend i had the (dis)pleasure of riding 150 miles in the rain, heavy at times. At one point i started to pass a slow vehicle, but when i rolled on the throttle, all i got was sputtering misfire...the bike would not rev past 3K....WTH ??

Needless to say, but i've voiced my problem with my HD dealer and they are gonna resolve it when they do my 5K maintenance this saturday.
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar probs with the 11SG?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xtek95
A couple of weeks ago i got caught out in a rain storm, rode for maybe 20 miles in fairly heavy rain....the next day i noticed that my horn no longer works.

This past weekend i had the (dis)pleasure of riding 150 miles in the rain, heavy at times. At one point i started to pass a slow vehicle, but when i rolled on the throttle, all i got was sputtering misfire...the bike would not rev past 3K....WTH ??

Needless to say, but i've voiced my problem with my HD dealer and they are gonna resolve it when they do my 5K maintenance this saturday.
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar probs with the 11SG?

Thanks

Can't help you on the sputtering as I have rode in the rain on several occasions and not had any issues such as you described.

The horn, however, I might be able to help you on. I got caught in a torrential downpour once on my '10 RGC and my horn wouldn't work afterwards. Since it was under warranty, the next time I was at the dealer I had them check it out. After it was fixed and they wheeled my bike out, the service manager said the tech wanted me to know that it was a motorcycle and not a boat. It seems that the horn was full of water. It happened another time and I just pulled the horn off and shook all the water out...... worked like a charm.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Can't help you on the sputtering as I have rode in the rain on several occasions and not had any issues such as you described.

The horn, however, I might be able to help you on. I got caught in a torrential downpour once on my '10 RGC and my horn wouldn't work afterwards. Since it was under warranty, the next time I was at the dealer I had them check it out. After it was fixed and they wheeled my bike out, the service manager said the tech wanted me to know that it was a motorcycle and not a boat. It seems that the horn was full of water. It happened another time and I just pulled the horn off and shook all the water out...... worked like a charm.

Like we all plan, to ride in torrential downpour rain.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 AM
StumpyJr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain problems

Looks like they have put leftover horns from the 2010 SG's on the 2011's. Pull it off,shake it out, and problem should be solved. As for sputtering....hasen't happened to me yet on my 2010 ! Many a down pour though !

"Speed safely" my friends !

Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

The sputtering is usually associated with the Throttle Position Sensor plug located right behind your air cleaner. Pull it apart and put in some dialectric grease. If you want to be proactive, do the same to the ECM plug.

The following users liked this post:
Muffettman (06-16-2023)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar1959
Like we all plan, to ride in torrential downpour rain.
No, but most sane people know to find some cover and wait the worst of it out. But I guess then they wouldn't have anything the whine about.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
No, but most sane people know to find some cover and wait the worst of it out. But I guess then they wouldn't have anything the whine about.

I've ridden in the rain many times, sometimes I even liked it. But being sane has never been one of my problems. What is that anyway?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I"m the one who's allergic to rain, not my SG! If the forecast calls for rain, then the SG stays under the carport and I stay put. Bad things happen in poor driving conditions. It's one thing to get caught in it, but to intentionally go riding when the forecast is rain? Not my thing.

Here in New Jersey, there's some great riding in the Pine Barrens. Unfortunately, there's not much cover there.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

LOL! How ironic! My 2010 StreetGlide has had its share of "wet" electrical issues. I have had the HD Premium Air Horn replaced twice; rear brake switch replaced twice; ABS relay replaced once. Since its all under warranty I take it to the Dealer. Last time I had it in the Tech advised me to quit washing my bike!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a little water in between those electrical connections and bad things happen. I was in a pretty good rain for about 200 miles last year with my '02 RKC. Let me tell you, that bike has always been rock solid. That day the engine light came on going through Chicago in the rain. I got it home to Wisconsin and took it to the dealer to see what was up. Water found it's way in between my PCIII and the ECU. The dealer pulled it apart, dried it out and packed it full of dielectric grease and sealed the connectcion with electrical tape.

She's been good ever since.

Good luck and remember dielectric grease is your friend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide Allergic to Rain it seems...