Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine temp vs Oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine temp vs Oil temp

If the ET readout on my Powervision says the engine is running at 270 on a 90 degree day(out on the highway), would the oil temperature be actually lower or higher and approx. how much? I don't have an oil temp gauge. The bike runs about 240-250 on a normal 70-80 degree day...the 270 temp indicated seems high for a Stage 1.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

The oil temp is going to be different depending on where it is ( ex. oil is sprayed at the bottoms of the pistons).
And I'm not sure where the powervision draws it's data

Most measure oil temp in the pan, which gives an "average". The H-D dipstick with LED display, the in dash oil temp gauge both take the readings from the pan.
Spouse's meat thermometer makes a handy oil temp checker too.

it is easy to fixate on "My oil is hot"--- but keep in mind that the oil is a major contributor to the cooling system- drawing heat away from some of the hottest parts of the motors ( piston undersides, bearings rocker shafts etc.)
So in a way "hot oil" is a good thing and shows that heat is being removed.

Synth oils have a great tolerance for heat--- so use synth in the motor.

and 90º ain't nuthin' I got 25º on that today.

Mike

Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed. I just bought an oil cooler for my bike. Mine seems to engage EITMS before some of the guys I ride with but I have different cams. Im hoping the oil cooler will help col things down. Anyone know for certain when the EITMS activates? I was told when head temps reach 235 degrees but that sems a little low.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
The oil temp is going to be different depending on where it is ( ex. oil is sprayed at the bottoms of the pistons).
And I'm not sure where the powervision draws it's data

Most measure oil temp in the pan, which gives an "average". The H-D dipstick with LED display, the in dash oil temp gauge both take the readings from the pan.
Spouse's meat thermometer makes a handy oil temp checker too.

it is easy to fixate on "My oil is hot"--- but keep in mind that the oil is a major contributor to the cooling system- drawing heat away from some of the hottest parts of the motors ( piston undersides, bearings rocker shafts etc.)
So in a way "hot oil" is a good thing and shows that heat is being removed.

Synth oils have a great tolerance for heat--- so use synth in the motor.

and 90º ain't nuthin' I got 25º on that today.

Mike
The PowerVision gets data from the ECM, but I don't know where the ECM's sensor is located. If someone has a PowerVision AND an oil temp gauge, maybe they could post both readings. 115 would be unbearable! How do you ride in that?!?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your power vision is most likely receiving temp from the head and I believe eitms is activated from that sensor plus vehical speed sensor only activates when stopped

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out riding today...outside temp was 93 and at a steady 50 MPH my Power Vision showed an engine temp of 247. When I got into town it went up to 275. I do have an oil cooler and I use synthetic oil. I don't know what my oil temp is but I know the Power Vision gets it ET from the sensor in the from head. I have the EITMS set to come on at 305 degrees. You can change the setting in Power Vision program on the computer.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hover, The ET, AKA CHT sensor is mounted in the front head on the top left side outboard of the intake. ET will generally much higher than oil temp during contunuous operation. There is no predictable relationship between ET and OT. I used to think ther was until I saw for myself with my temp monitoring system that measures OT at 4 points in the system and the F/R CHTs. My bike is tuned lean, at 95F running 70 MPH for about 30 minutes, my front ET was 280F while my OT was 220. Pull off the highway to a stop light and the ET will spike over 340 in 3-4 minutes. Shut down for 30 minutes and start back up and the OT will be higher than the ET for a few minutes, the ET/OT also heat up and cool at very diferent rates, so again there is no rule of thumb or correlation between ET/OT to convert one to the other. Also the rear cylinder running hot thing is not as significant as most may think. For the majority of the engines running time the rear cylinder is less than 15F hotter than the front cylinder, only after extended runtime at highway speed will rear cylinder max out at only 30F higher. Best to just get an oil temp gauge if you want to know the oil temp.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hover
If the ET readout on my Powervision says the engine is running at 270 on a 90 degree day(out on the highway), would the oil temperature be actually lower or higher and approx. how much? I don't have an oil temp gauge. The bike runs about 240-250 on a normal 70-80 degree day...the 270 temp indicated seems high for a Stage 1.

LMAO! Unfortunately some readers will take this as a serious question.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was about 95F here Sunday and after a couple of hours my fwd head temp
was 288 and oil was 255. This can't be good for the engine. I wonder if a parade fan might help ?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

don't worry about it- an oil cooler can help- and it slightly increases capacity- but really.

Look where you live, look where I live.

I have all kinda bikes and cars and they still work, everyday.

parade fan might help if you are sitting close to still, otherwise when moving it may impede cooling air from flowing around the motor.

And--- for those who are really worried, fairing lowers contribute to lower motor and oil temps. The fairing lowers "order" the air and direct it toward the motor.
Think of air as a fluid--- that big dumb rotataing wheel and that fender cause a messy bunch of air which is not smoothly directed at he motor- the fairing lowers help.

on an average day of 105º my oil was measured 25º cooler with the lowers on than off, consecutive runs on the same 20 mile piece of hiway.

mike

Quick Reply: Engine temp vs Oil temp