Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paint codes

I have a 2011 Road King Classic w/ Dark/Light candy root beer.

I am thinking of installing the Kury #1317 saddle shields heat deflectors. But I am also thinking of painting them to match the gas tank.

Is there a way to determine the color codes of the various colors on my bike? And, as long as I am asking, the pin strip colors, too?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Roger C6R
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD does not realese the paint codes I may be wrong, perhaps someone may have more info, but I don't think the code is available, however you can have the paint matched by any auto paint supply store.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

no paint codes on new bikes.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your local HD parts counter can look up the HD p/n's for the colors, including pinstripes. Get the HD color names, including the pinstripes. Confirm (for reasons below) that these colors are the same for the '09 and '11 candy root beer.

If you want the PPG equivalent paint codes, call your local PPG auto paint distributor or a local auto paint shop that has a PPG mix station (for lack of a better term). PPG maintains a data base of OEM colors, including HD's non-CVO or Custom colors, that provides mix formulas. The database I saw and played with at the paint shop that did my bike was organized by manufacturer (HD), model year, and color name. While I was exploring the database in early '09, I saw the formulas for the candy Root beer light/dark. If the HD paint p/n's for your color on your '11 is the same as the '09, then you can reliably use the '09 PPG paint if PPG hasn't added the '11 colors to their database, yet.

Also, send a PM to jharanin; he works for PPG and is an excellent resource for this type of information.

Also, post the results of your research--save the next guy the trouble of finding the same information.

Carl

Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default ??

I don't know crap about paint codes, but I know my dealer can order me however much of whatever color i want direct from HD. No codes for HD, just the name of the color, and I think it was by the pint or something, and I know it is made of liquid gold or something cause it is expensive.... Hope this helps
Kris.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Due to a misfortunate incident that I wont go into, I now need to have my fairing and right-side saddlebag painted. Checking with my Dealer I was told that they send all repairs to a local painter who specializes in motorcycles. Turns out I know the painter by reputation and that is good news for me. I asked about getting the "official factory paint" and why I could not just send the parts back to Harley to have repainted at the factory. Dealer told me NO, all repairs are done locally. Any NEW parts for wrecks, etc they order from the factory painted. Well, not wanting to replace with new parts I decided to call the local painter and talk with him. I asked if he used Harley's paint.

He told me that he did NOT use Harley's paint by his preference. He said it was WAY OVER priced and frankly, not very good paint. He also described the paint as "gooey" and takes a long time to cure.

Not being a painter I said I would defer to his knowledge and experience. I have no doubt I will be satisfied with the work he will do. I was in fact thinking of having him do some custom work on my bike before I had my little "incident".

Anyone care to comment about Harley's paint one way or the other or your experiences with have parts repainted.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Due to a misfortunate incident that I wont go into, I now need to have my fairing and right-side saddlebag painted. Checking with my Dealer I was told that they send all repairs to a local painter who specializes in motorcycles. Turns out I know the painter by reputation and that is good news for me. I asked about getting the "official factory paint" and why I could not just send the parts back to Harley to have repainted at the factory. Dealer told me NO, all repairs are done locally. Any NEW parts for wrecks, etc they order from the factory painted. Well, not wanting to replace with new parts I decided to call the local painter and talk with him. I asked if he used Harley's paint.

He told me that he did NOT use Harley's paint by his preference. He said it was WAY OVER priced and frankly, not very good paint. He also described the paint as "gooey" and takes a long time to cure.

Not being a painter I said I would defer to his knowledge and experience. I have no doubt I will be satisfied with the work he will do. I was in fact thinking of having him do some custom work on my bike before I had my little "incident".

Anyone care to comment about Harley's paint one way or the other or your experiences with have parts repainted.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking this thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

I have a local PPG distributer locally. I will have to check with them.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

good luck i have a 2011 as well the only colors are cool blue pearl, hot denum white and now sedona orange. i checked with the jobber here and the sedona was put to gether by a PPG rep this was done by eyeball the formula says for overall use meaning u have to paint the whole bike it also states darker then prime . i have seen the color it is very dirty looking and muddy so now iam repainting my whole bike it is tore down as we speak got tired of going through this crap with harley so i found something close and cleaner looking with more depth to it. i bought a quart from harley and its single stage didnt match for **** u can clear coat it but the paint takes some time to dry befor u can clear it and while your waiting in the mean time dirt and dust is settling in your paint so screw that iam changing the color.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

I have no idea who colorrite is but I found this w/ a google search.

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=24038493

Quick Reply: Paint codes