Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH

Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Turning up the radio usually solves the problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Assuming our friend rides only in warm weather he should be safe running straight 50 or 60 weight dino oil. It will quiet the ticking.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

This has to be a "TRICK THREAD" It's a HARLEY

Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

There is only one sure fire way to quiet the harley valve train down and that is a good set of ear plugs. It works try it.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
There is only one sure fire way to quiet the harley valve train down and that is a good set of ear plugs. It works try it.
+1 I use plugs for the wind noise, it also works well for the higher frequency top end noise. Although I like to here that motor working when I am just scooting around the neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What? Huh?

Originally Posted by slickrick_58
Some people just aren't meant to own a Harley. If you want smooth, refined and quite, by yourself a jap bike or mount wheels to an electric motor. Or you can just stay on the couch. If you want raw personality with a soul, to know your on a machine just sitting still, and always, always look back one more time befors you turn the light out in the garage; then your ready for a Harley. People who get one just to say they have one are rarely satisfied with one. Oh, and I've never, ever had anyone come up to me and ask "Is that a Honda?"
The ticking sound really isn't noticable by people hearing you ride by....just when you're on the bike.

But....when someone asks..."is that a Honda?"...I tend to go a bit nuts!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Ticitme
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what the fact that this is a push rod motor and some noise is inherent in the design. BUT! I know some of the previous Harley motors have a lot less top end noise. Hell, even my 107 with bigger valves is quieter then his factory 103. My 110 is quieter too, for that matter. That seems to be the crux of the problem. Some bikes are noisier then others. HE has a noisy one. Must be something that can be done to tighten up tolerances and make it at least as quiet as SOME of the bikes Harley produces.

To those that actually posted ideas to help, thank you! And for those that just wanted to flame, shame on you! Part of the reason we ride a Harley is because of the camaraderie . Guess that doesn't apply to the internet.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine makes so much racket that people riding with me can hear the lifter/tappet noise running down the road. Always get asked "is it going to blow up?" but has been noisy ever since cam change 30000 miles ago. After adjusting pushrods dozens of times, i gave up and just ride it.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just fixed an exhaust leak and a noisy, worn tranny countershaft bearing was replaced. For the first time I'm down to just the clacking noise from the valve train. I find it distracting to the quietness of my bike. I know what it is but hate how loud it is.

I think the question is valid and answers like turn up the radio or get loud pipes or being told that it's normal is not really the answer.

The question was "Best way to quiet valve train noise", not how can I block it out.

Answers like replacing cams and lifters, running a heavy straight weight offer some real changes.

How about additives? I remember the days of STP which was a staple for old vehicles with too much clatter. Anything else that works well in our bikes would be appreciated to hear about.

I've been around motors of all kinds and it does make me feel like my bike is on the verge of having a break down when I hear that clatter. I realize it's part of the design but the metal on metal tends to make me feel it's not fully lubricated.

BTW ... I don't let it stop me. I know it's running in top shape but when I hear it at odd times I can't help but wonder what's wearing out and breaking down ... because that seems to be the real "LEGEND Of Harleys" ... LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

If he really wants the noise to go away tell your friend to turn off the key then it will get quiet. Realistically Lucas oil stabilizer helps, I have it in all three holes, engine is quieter, trans shifts much better and I can actually find neutral.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH