Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Ticitme
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the things to try are roller rockers, shimmed to spec. Check for clearance issues, Heavy or straight weight oil. And possibly some relief from an Engine oil additive...
Sounds close to the things that I wanted to try. What about the Forged rocker supports? Do they actually keep the valve train lined up better in stock trim too?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm watching this thread.... lol

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

XM5 Stabilizer quietened down my noisy 96. 1/4 cup or so at every oil change. The Lucas stuff would probably work the same.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ticitme
I have a friend with a 103 ltd. He's not a fan of the valve train tick that comes with a push rod motor. Enough so, that he's thinking of switching brands. Is there some "tried and true" ways to quiet the ticking from the top end of these motors? Keep in mind that the stock pipes are still on his bike because he likes it quiet. So I doubt cams any more aggressive then 255s will be on the list of things to try..

Any help would be great. I already thought of going to 20-60wt oil.... Would roller rockers help?
If you want to quiet down the normal noise "he" is hearing, the simple fix is to remove the fairing and lowers. Problem solved. Any money spent to solve a noise that is normal is a waste, Cam replace for valve noise, your kidding! P.S. A Goldwing is quiet, maybe there's "a friend" on that forum can explain how they do it.

Last edited by checkers; 08-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by slickrick_58
Zippers performance sells shims to control the rocker arm movement. I'm sure others do also. SM says end clearance should be .003-.013" with a service limit of .025". With the close proximity of the spring retainers to the rocker box and cover, it is almost a given that there is going to be noise. The cover even acts like an amplifier of the noise. You can remove the cover and check clearance between the spring and rocker box and use modeling clay to check clearance between the retainer and cover. Then grind as necessary to improve clearance. Shim rocker end play and check the lifter/pushrod relationship. If you're not satisfied, aftermarket rocker boxes are still an option, though an expensive one.
"Zackley!"

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey Steeler
I put 6oz. in the Primary, 6 oz in the trans. and about 20 oz. in the engine. IMO it works great. Engine noise got quieter but what really impresses me is the trans. it shifts much smoother and before when I pull up to a stop I had to rev the engine a little and catch neutral on the way down now I can find neutral with ease. I am sold.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gasbrnr
Try some good synthetic 20-50wt motorcycle specific oil like Mobil1, Amsoil ect. He has to remember it is an air cooled big twin and there is moving parts in there
That won't work. The ticking is actually louder with synthetic. The lubrication is better though and the oil will last a lot longer.
Fresh regular dino oil quiets the tick but that don't last long.
Yeah, it's a pushrod engine.
Sound like the guy is a Victory overhead cam candidate.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got to ignore the **** stirrers

Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 SG with the 103 and have the same problem. At first it made me nervous because this is my first Harley and it was noisy. After reading a lot on this forum and learned it was normal I just ride it now and don't pay it any attention to it.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyboyddk
Lucas recommends 25% in Harley-Davidson motors. Offered in reg and syn, works like STP to quiet valve train. Sold as Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
This is my next move. I really can't see tearing into the motor and altering the basic design. Plus it's too much $$$ and down time just to attempt to eliminate a noise that should be there to some degree. I just want to quiet the clatter a little more so it doesn't stand out and keep me on edge thinking it's the next worn part or component that needs repair.

I think I'll be visiting the auto parts store and pick up some Lucas Oil additive today. I haven't heard anything negative about using it in combination with Harley fluids.

The following users liked this post:
u wish u could ride (06-20-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH