Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Ticitme
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH

I have a friend with a 103 ltd. He's not a fan of the valve train tick that comes with a push rod motor. Enough so, that he's thinking of switching brands. Is there some "tried and true" ways to quiet the ticking from the top end of these motors? Keep in mind that the stock pipes are still on his bike because he likes it quiet. So I doubt cams any more aggressive then 255s will be on the list of things to try..

Any help would be great. I already thought of going to 20-60wt oil.... Would roller rockers help?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell your friend to Manup ! He's sitting on top of a Real motor now....baby. I keep hearing a clicking noise, like Dorthys shoes in the " Wizard of Oz "

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first car was a 1957 Corvette with solid lifter cam. After a monthly adjustment, were relatively quiet, then got noisier til next adjustment. Just normal engine sounds to me. Adjustment was easy with motor running and only four fasteners holding each valve cover on. (no smog gear). Quicker than changing spark plugs. Pleasant task with noticable results. Ticking is fine, knocking is trouble.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Troubleman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

He's riding a Harley for Christ sake. If he doesn't want any noise, he's on the wrong bike. Tell him to get a Goldwing or BMW or something.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
gasbrnr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some good synthetic 20-50wt motorcycle specific oil like Mobil1, Amsoil ect. He has to remember it is an air cooled big twin and there is moving parts in there

Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the design of the rocker arms is more the culprit for the clicking. When a hydraulic lifter gets loose enough to make the clicking sound you will hear it a lot louder. I am not saying lifters don't make a clicking noise when they get out of adjustment or loose their prime. With the amount of preload these lifters have on them I don't believe they are the problem. You can replace the rocker arms with roller rockers and/or shim them to where they can't move sideways on the shaft causing the clicking. Just my thoughts. As I always get told when I fuss about the clicking, turn the radio up or get the right pipes and mufflers and the noises will go away.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have him wear a new, tight fitting around the ears, full face helmet. With the visor closed. Oh, and if he has a radio on his bike... turn it way up.

The following users liked this post:
leachman (06-23-2019)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After a cam change & the adjustable pushrods many have reported quieter valve train. Worth a shot if it's that important to him. 255s can be found cheap too!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 AM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people just aren't meant to own a Harley. If you want smooth, refined and quite, by yourself a jap bike or mount wheels to an electric motor. Or you can just stay on the couch. If you want raw personality with a soul, to know your on a machine just sitting still, and always, always look back one more time befors you turn the light out in the garage; then your ready for a Harley. People who get one just to say they have one are rarely satisfied with one. Oh, and I've never, ever had anyone come up to me and ask "Is that a Honda?"

The following users liked this post:
MikeTD3 (01-19-2020)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slickrick_58
Some people just aren't meant to own a Harley. If you want smooth, refined and quite, by yourself a jap bike or mount wheels to an electric motor. Or you can just stay on the couch. If you want raw personality with a soul, to know your on a machine just sitting still, and always, always look back one more time befors you turn the light out in the garage; then your ready for a Harley. People who get one just to say they have one are rarely satisfied with one. Oh, and I've never, ever had anyone come up to me and ask "Is that a Honda?"

And there you go!

Quick Reply: Best way to quiet valve train noise on stock FLH