Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger backrest option? RK

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Limit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger backrest option? RK

I've got an 09-newer RK and wondering about my options for a passenger backrest. I use my bike to commute to work, and gf usually likes to ride once a week. I'd like to have that all off when she's not on it.

1.) What parts are needed? Mount 2/4 point, sissy bar, and pad?

2.) I've seen quick-detach sissy bar and pad, but what are my options for mounting hardware? Any of them nice enough looking to where I don't have to take them off. I hate how on some the mounts stick way up.

3.) If the mounts are going to be ugly, then I'll leave the sissy bar on and just take the pad off when she's not on, so are there any nice looking sissy bars that you guys would recommend?

4.) Any backrests that your ladies recommend?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You basicly have 2 main choices. A backrest with a chrome "rack" behind, or one without the little luggage rack.
You also have a couple of choices (sizes) for the backrest pad. Your GF will let you know which she prefers.
Lastly you have either a 2-point or 4-point mount that the backrest (frame) mounts to. If you are going with the backrest only (no rack) the 2-point bracket is your choice.
HD sells chrome (or black) magnetic covers for the studs that the backrest frame mount to.
Simple

Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Limit
Cruiser

Easy enough. Does anyone have the magnetic covers? Do they look good or cheap?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have this backrest...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

with this pad....

and this rack...

I can remove the backrest and leave the luggage rack, or remove the luggage rack and leave the backrest, or take them both off.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 09-01-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the smallest backrest you can put on an '09 or newer King. It's the one that comes stock on the new Screamin' Eagle Street Glides. It's short, has the billet rear plate, small pad and chrome docking hardware. I also use the chrome magnetic covers for when it's not on the bike (which is whenever the old lady's not riding with me).

I guess I don't have any pics with the backrest on, but here's one of just the docking hardware and chrome covers.

Attached Thumbnails Passenger backrest option? RK-2009-flhr-11.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't see the detachment points when the backrest is off... unless you are running with the bags off. well, I guess you can, if you stand right next to the bike and look down between the rear fender and the saddlebag.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Limit
I've got an 09-newer RK and wondering about my options for a passenger backrest. I use my bike to commute to work, and gf usually likes to ride once a week. I'd like to have that all off when she's not on it.

1.) What parts are needed? Mount 2/4 point, sissy bar, and pad?

2.) I've seen quick-detach sissy bar and pad, but what are my options for mounting hardware? Any of them nice enough looking to where I don't have to take them off. I hate how on some the mounts stick way up.

3.) If the mounts are going to be ugly, then I'll leave the sissy bar on and just take the pad off when she's not on, so are there any nice looking sissy bars that you guys would recommend?

4.) Any backrests that your ladies recommend?
1) You need a 4 point for sissy bar with luggage rack. The sissy bar is for your GF so figuring you two will do some trips, hence having the luggage rack will be nice.

2) Mounting hardware is really not very visable but covers are available.

3) The Harley sissy bar with rack is decent looking but I dont care for the look of any sissy bar when I'm solo, so it only goes on when the wife is riding. Takes about 20 seconds.

4) I have the large pad, for my wife the bigger the better.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
you can't see the detachment points when the backrest is off... unless you are running with the bags off. well, I guess you can, if you stand right next to the bike and look down between the rear fender and the saddlebag.

On an '09 or newer, you CAN see the rear docking points for the backrest. It sticks up above the bags, unlike an '08 or older, which IS down between the bags and fender.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TW
On an '09 or newer, you CAN see the rear docking points for the backrest. It sticks up above the bags, unlike an '08 or older, which IS down between the bags and fender.
OOPS my bad. i missed his being an 09.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Limit
Easy enough. Does anyone have the magnetic covers? Do they look good or cheap?
The covers are actually very good looking. They are simple and simply slip over the studs and are $20. IMO well worth it.

RE: the comment 2 vs. 4 point docking, if you have just the backrest, you only need the 2-point. If you go with the backrest with integral rack, you need the 4-point docking kit.

Quick Reply: Passenger backrest option? RK