Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride after Andrews 21 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the complete upgrade with the new oil pump, cam chains and a set of Andrews 21C cams over 2 years ago on my 2004 Road King, pretty much stock except a pipe and air cleaner change, Great bang for the buck. IMO if you're going in to replace the cams, might as well upgrade to the new style oil pump, cam chains and tensioners as long at it is apart. You get the Torrington bearings also kit and not that complicated to to.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a set of head quarter 34 gear drive in my 06 ultra loving every minute of it. Wish I did this back in the spring so I could enjoy them longer, but will ride till snow or ice. Actually my indy did this gotta give him credit for it good job

Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
2002EGlide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question, are most of you changing to true duals along with the cam upgrade. I was told that the true duals effect the low end torque but am wondering if the 21's make up for the loss.

I was in Daytona this past weekend and talked with the S&S people. If they had not sold their last set of gear drive cams I would have had them installed while I was there.

I've been looking at doing the cam upgrade for awhile now and after reading these threads I am leaning to the Andrews 21.

Ride safe

Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

have an 07 Ultra and have the andrews 26 & gear drive. 26 is for heavyer bikes and you loss a little low end with true duals, the 26 comes on about 2grand and pulls all the way to about 55

Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 55 Posts

I also went with 26Gs on my 06 roadglide. I'm very happy with the 26's and my riding style, but I've never ridden a bike with the 21s installed, and I'm not sure how it would compare.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002EGlide
One question, are most of you changing to true duals along with the cam upgrade. I was told that the true duals effect the low end torque but am wondering if the 21's make up for the loss.

I was in Daytona this past weekend and talked with the S&S people. If they had not sold their last set of gear drive cams I would have had them installed while I was there.

I've been looking at doing the cam upgrade for awhile now and after reading these threads I am leaning to the Andrews 21.

Ride safe
Go with the 26 if you think there is a possibility of a 95" kit in the future.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Andrews 288902 kit w/21N cams on the way as well as a set of S&S adjustable pushrods.
What is the recommendation for inner bearings I need to buy? Maybe I can find them locally if a common item.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 AM
thaddeus2364
Intermediate

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here. But I'm hoping someone can help. I just had Andrews 21 installed with a PCV and a full dyno tune in 01 stock 88 ultra classic. (only other mods are big sucker, SS powertune headers, ad VH monster round sip on's) . And although it seems to run smooth there is no bottom end torque whatsoever. My bike runs like a 4 cylinder mini van instead of a stump pulling school bus I was expecting. Everything Ive read on here and even a call to Andrews convinced me the 21 was the way to go with my Ultra for low end torque.

Before adding the 21's I was running with stock cams, big sucker, SS powertune headers, ad VH monster round's and cobra power pro auto tuner. That setup gave me way more low end torque than the new setup.So much so all the way home from the tuner I kept thinking I was in 2nd gear taking off from a dead stop. It took off smooth but just no torque. Even down shifting into 1st and 2nd felt like there was nothing there compared to when I down shifted with the stock cams.

My question those with experience... is this because of the tune? Does a tune really affect the low down torque that much? I'm just blown away that there is such a drastic difference in low down torque in the opposite direction of what I was expecting.

I will be calling the tuner on Monday to get his take. I picked it up on Friday as they were closing and didn't have a chance to call him after riding. Not to mention I needed to ride it a couple of times to digest what was really happening. I'm so bummed, all that money into new cams, dyno and PCV and I went backwards... Any advice or knowledge anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:05 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by thaddeus2364
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here. But I'm hoping someone can help. I just had Andrews 21 installed with a PCV and a full dyno tune in 01 stock 88 ultra classic. (only other mods are big sucker, SS powertune headers, ad VH monster round sip on's) . And although it seems to run smooth there is no bottom end torque whatsoever. My bike runs like a 4 cylinder mini van instead of a stump pulling school bus I was expecting. Everything Ive read on here and even a call to Andrews convinced me the 21 was the way to go with my Ultra for low end torque.

Before adding the 21's I was running with stock cams, big sucker, SS powertune headers, ad VH monster round's and cobra power pro auto tuner. That setup gave me way more low end torque than the new setup.So much so all the way home from the tuner I kept thinking I was in 2nd gear taking off from a dead stop. It took off smooth but just no torque. Even down shifting into 1st and 2nd felt like there was nothing there compared to when I down shifted with the stock cams.

My question those with experience... is this because of the tune? Does a tune really affect the low down torque that much? I'm just blown away that there is such a drastic difference in low down torque in the opposite direction of what I was expecting.

I will be calling the tuner on Monday to get his take. I picked it up on Friday as they were closing and didn't have a chance to call him after riding. Not to mention I needed to ride it a couple of times to digest what was really happening. I'm so bummed, all that money into new cams, dyno and PCV and I went backwards... Any advice or knowledge anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same air cleaner and headers as you, but with Rinehart muffles and a Fuel Moto PCIII USB tuner. It was a noticeable improvement with the 21N cams. I wouldn't think the tune would'nt make that much difference unless you were experiencing a rough idle, decel popping, or some other anomaly that would indicate a bad air/fuel mix. I'm wondering if the cam timing is off a tooth. Did you install the cams yourself? Did your guy provide a dyno sheet?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 AM
thaddeus2364
Intermediate

I have the same air cleaner and headers as you, but with Rinehart muffles and a Fuel Moto PCIII USB tuner. It was a noticeable improvement with the 21N cams. I wouldn't think the tune would'nt make that much difference unless you were experiencing a rough idle, decel popping, or some other anomaly that would indicate a bad air/fuel mix. I'm wondering if the cam timing is off a tooth. Did you install the cams yourself? Did your guy provide a dyno sheet?
The tuner installed the cams. No decel popping, idle is spot on (even with the MM in there). It feels like a went from a 21 to stock. Its bizarre in that the bike is running as smooth as ever jut way more tame then before. I'm starting to think there was some other cam in there and I went backwards with the 21 or the the tuner put in the wrong cams. Even more perplexing is Dyno graf show MP=74.63/MT=85.31 which is pretty good for a stock 88.

To the best of my knowledge bike was stock everything when bought it last year except the the previous owners had the tentioners replaced with the SE hydrolic kit and added a oil cooler. I have the paperwork. No cams listed.

So here my next question... the dealer paper work for the tentioner install has adjustable pushrods, new tappets, and the tuner said there were already Torrington barings in there. Is that normal on a SE Hydro tentioner install?

Quick Reply: First ride after Andrews 21 install