Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades

Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Valkyrie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades

I have been thinking about an upgrade to my FLHTK. I have been looking at various air filter set ups. Does anyone have personal favorites ? I have been reading about the offerings from Zippers and Arlen Ness, the K&N set up. Anyone try the Boysen X wing intake and filter. Even the stage 1 and all of the offerings from HD

Opinions anyone?

p.s. Can't decide on the cat removal, two friends have done it on the same bike no CE lights.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I like the ness, it is the tidiest install and costs under $120 shipped on ebay from easternpc.
That is the chrome backing plate version, the chrome is an easier wipe down on wash day and compliments the motor at the head attachments ( unlike the grey versions, which all of a sudden you have chrome highlights all over the motor and 2 pieces of cast grey...wtf???)
The ness also has an oiled washable reusable filter media.

- it uses the stock cover---- some of the units with smaller covers no longer conceal the plug and wiring at the intake ( left side as you look at it)--- which is ugly.

if you leave the cat in, there is little benefit from changing intake.

the idea is to allow increased flow into and out of the motor--- that will result in 7 to 10 horsepower ( the "stage 1").

with increased flow you'll need to change fuel delivery, some guys use tuners, I use the Nightrider.com XIEDS which are $125, plug in and work.

It is near useless to do only one of these 3 parts, and increasing flow with out altering fuel delivery may permanently damage your motor

---------- X wing----? bolt on junk, remember the "tornado" that was advertised on TV all night along with "those tiny little ads"---- this thing is a piece of junk. save your money, don't encourage these type of people.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-04-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:13 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I oogled over quite a few before I decided on the SE Heavy Breather. Have had it on a few years now and not at all sorry.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Arlen Ness is the way to go. It's the same as the SE unit, but you don't have to remove the throttle body bracket with the ness. I bought the cheaper gray backing plate and spray painted it black with high temp paint. Looks better than the chrome to me. You don't see a lot of it behind the football cover anyway! JMO