Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FLHX Radio has no sound. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 FLHX Radio has no sound. Options?

The radio started to lose sound and required an on/off cycle to restart. This problem got progressively worse until finally on my trip to Wisconsin labor day weekend it crapped out completely. The display works flawlessly just drops sound altogether. I have no amp with 7.25 aftermarket J&M's. Called Iron Cross radio he says its internal in the radio so I am exploring the best option here looking for some advice.

1. Send in to Iron Cross and keep factory unit.
2. Replace factory unit with aftermarket setup that uses the factory switches on the handlebars.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM
hwork
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My radio and my buddy's radio started doing the exact same thing a couple of months ago. He took his to the dealer that he purchased the bike from and they replaced it under warranty. They also mentioned that it wasnt an uncommon problem. I bought my bike a couple hundred miles from where I live now so I took it to the local shop. They replaced the radio under warranty in the end but it took quite a bit of talking to get that done. They claimed I had done something to it to make it quit and all of this other nonsense. We both have 2010 bikes though so unless you have the extended you may have to buck up and pay....If I was going to have to put a new one on mine, on my dime, it would definitely be an aftermarket alpine or something similar.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

That is a very common warranty thing.
Your dealer should send it back to Harmon Kardon for exchange for you.
Even if the bike is out of warranty I would argue to get the exchange due to the defective out put card inside the unit..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by journeyman
That is a very common warranty thing.
Your dealer should send it back to Harmon Kardon for exchange for you.
Even if the bike is out of warranty I would argue to get the exchange due to the defective out put card inside the unit..
My warranty expired in May but I will call the dealer just to make sure.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Ozusaf1
Stage III

I have an '09 street glide. After returning from a 1200 mile ride with my girlfriend, much of it in the pouring rain, my radio speakers began turning off, but the radio stays on. If I turn the radio off it will (usually) play again for varying amounts of time. BOTTOM LINE: I called Iron Cross and they confirmed this is a common problem. I took teh radio out today and will ship it to them tomorrow. The fee is "typically" the $250 minimum, but they do more than just fix it, they update software and shore up the internal components....Thanks to you all that recommended them.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Ozusaf1
Stage III
Default Iron Cross Audio Review

This is a follow up to my post a week ago. I pulled my radio out and sent it overnight to Iron Cross Audio on Monday. They called me today (Wednesday) and I will have it back Friday! They confirmed that there was vibration damage to the radio. They updated all software, put in additional weather proofing, and added vibration protection to the system.

They were responsive by phone and VERY easy to work with. For me it is hard to send an expensive radio somewhere based on an online recommendation, but trust me they were great!!

Thanks again to you all!!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ya, I have been waiting for a month for a warranty replacement radio, on back order from Harley.
Common problem, just one more thing MoCo choose not to fix and we owners put up with it.
If my radio were not under warranty I would be going to Biketronics for a Sony replacement system.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
09baggerguy
Intermediate

had same problems, I'm on radio #4 first 3 had audio problems last on display problems...glad I have extended warranty

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM
rwlilguy
Stage III

I am on radio #2, and do not feel as if I want to keep the stock set-up in. I am exploring options, but it looks as if the Biketronics package is the way I will go. Just have to decide which head unit I want to go with.
I heard about the Iron Cross option, but just can't see paying that much and not be guaranteed that it will hold up. Hope it worked out for you thus far. Plus, from what I have been hearing, the upgrade makes a big difference.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rwlilguy
I am on radio #2, and do not feel as if I want to keep the stock set-up in. I am exploring options, but it looks as if the Biketronics package is the way I will go. Just have to decide which head unit I want to go with.
I heard about the Iron Cross option, but just can't see paying that much and not be guaranteed that it will hold up. Hope it worked out for you thus far. Plus, from what I have been hearing, the upgrade makes a big difference.
How and why find a two years old thread and resurrect it-just curious?

Quick Reply: 2009 FLHX Radio has no sound. Options?