Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
0Z
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question

I searched and hope I did not miss the question I am going to ask... (old age, so its ok)

I just got a 2012 Ultra Limited(and I am happy as a new puppy), was not the plan to get one, but when offers happen... anyway... The Limited models do not have guard rails running around the bags, was not a major concern while buying. But I have fell over a few times(when I was really young ) and the rails have saved my bags from getting really scratched up, along with my foot holding up the bike. So I saw the old style guard rails and put them on, not very hard and they look great. When I was all done I notices that they get wider at the back, appx. 1/2 inch. I tried to move the back bolt on over, but there is no room for it to fit, so I can only use the outside slot of the bracket. Maybe its supposed to be that way, but the docs are never like the bike I have, or maybe not. I think I can pull the back bag bolt again and put the rail slot in between the braces but it looks like it might move something else or bend.
Has anyone put these on a 2009 and higher bike(I assume the frame is the same) with hard bags and how did you mount the back brace of the guard rail?

Sorry for the long essay but I also changed out the pipes to Rush and it sounds so much better....

Thanks in advance ....!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

09 and up use redesigned nostalgic guards part # 91286-10

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Johnny K
Cruiser

I've got the -10 rails on my 12 limited (at least my order from Surdyke says so - I'll check the box at home) and I've got the same problem. You cannot attach the rear of the rail to the outboard hole in the rear, you have to use the inboard hole, which pushes the rear of the rail out a bit compared to the front.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
0Z
Novice
Smile

I have the -10... I checked several times before I gave the info to the parts guy, and he rechecked it.

Really its just an ego thing for me heheheh I know if its wrong, everyone I know will point it out and let me know how smart I am .... lucky at my age, I laugh along with them...

(of course now I am going to go look at my packing list, receipt and all other paper work)

Last edited by 0Z; 09-07-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: my spelling is starting to suck even more :(
Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I put the nostalgic rail on my 2010 SE Ultra. Had to remove the painted filler strips between the fender and the bags but no big deal as I really wanted to add the rails to my bike. There are brackets on the bikes back there that the rails will bolt onto. And of course the front will clamp onto the saddlebag guard.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Johnny K
Cruiser

Confirmed my packing box - I have the correct rails for the bike, and the same problem you have.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
0Z
Novice

Well I guess I will ask one of the techs next time I go to the dealer.... or if I see a set on a new bike, will have to stop them and ask......... great thing about bikers most don't get upset when you do stop them for silly things

Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0Z
Well I guess I will ask one of the techs next time I go to the dealer.... or if I see a set on a new bike, will have to stop them and ask......... great thing about bikers most don't get upset when you do stop them for silly things
Did anyone get any resolution to this problem? I also just installed the rails and cannot seem to get the rear bracket to attach to the inside hole.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Did anyone get any resolution to this problem? I also just installed the rails and cannot seem to get the rear bracket to attach to the inside hole.
OK, never mind, I fixed it!! The rail bracket had to go inside the fender bracket, so the outside hole fits now. It now fits perfectly all the way around the saddlebag!!I initially put it on the outside of the fender bracket. Those that had a problem might want to check the position of the rail bracket relative to the fender bracket to see if you made the same mistake I made initially.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW - I put some nostalgic rails on my Road King and initally used the outside hole, but saw the same result as the others. There was a widening from front to back on the gap. I moved the rails over to the inside hole and it was perfect. See pics below:

Attached Thumbnails Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question-img-20120506-00073.jpg   Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question-img-20120506-00072.jpg   Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question-wild1-5.jpg   Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question-rk-20rail2.jpg  

Last edited by mike5380; 05-06-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Nostalgic Saddlebag Guard Rails question