Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your transmission exhaust hanger bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:37 AM
NMDesertRider
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stumbled across this thread while trying to figure out why my exhaust mounting bracket was bolted to my header pipe but not to the transmission (not a very effective mounting bracket). I know I didn't skip those bolts a couple years ago when I reinstalled my exhaust after having pulled it off of my '07 Street Glide. I'm switching to the Fuel Moto E-Series 2-into-1 and will get that bracket remounted.

Like a few others have mentioned, there have been a number of times when I could smell the distinct odor of tranny fluid burning during a long ride, but I could never identify the source. There haven't been any drops on the garage floor and the fluid level has never dropped a noticeable amount.

Thanks to all you folks for providing info around this issue and the associated service bulletin. I'll be adding some loctite and torquing those bolts accordingly, once I replace them.

On a similar note, as I was pulling off my stock headers, I noticed that the tab that connects to the crossover had also broken. I'm assuming the stress was shifted from the transmission exhaust mounting bracket, after the bolts backed out and disappeared somewhere, to that tab. That means my exhaust was held up by the muffler mounts underneath the saddlebags and the flange nuts, which likely explains the annoying squeak that the muffler mounts made at idle.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:37 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I was changing the rear tire on my Ultra today and noticed that the two transmission exhaust hanger bolts were very loose. No oil leaks. Tightened up those two bolts (actually removed them and placed Loctite on them), and tightened up the other six bolts. I've been trying to track down what sounds like an intermittent rattle and I'm hoping this was the cause.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Checked mine. One's gone, and the other is a little loose (can spin the washer). I've accumulated HD bolts over the years, so I might be able to fix this without a trip to the dealer. Looks like it is a 5/16. Can someone please confirm this, and also tell me the length? Thanks.
This happened to me, I noticed an oil leak in my 05' a few years ago, it was under warranty still so I booked it in. They found 2 bolts missing, and a few more loose. I think these were the bottom pan bolts, took a few days to special order bolts!
Now I check them my self

Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM
05 LowRider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Returned from a day trip to Little River Canyon a couple of weeks ago and after having my toe shifter vibrate off (another story in itself) I put the bike in the garage and the next morning I had a nice little puddle of transmission fluid on the floor under the bike. Both of my bolts had backed out, luckily they were still hanging on by a couple of threads. I tightened them up, added more fluid, and am good to go. Just another thing to add to my checklist before a ride.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM
hdbiker60
Novice

just experienced the same thing on my 2003 Ultra.

Is it just enough to tighten those bolts or do I need a new gasket?

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....0SIDE%20COVERS

Old 07-24-2016, 04:19 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tightening to proper torque usually fixes it.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM
1200N
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago trying to track down a vibration i am having. Both bolts were loose, added the blue loctite to them now its going to be part of my routine.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 PM
jempey
Stage II

I just ran into this problem today on my 2012 Limited. Bolts are completely gone. I'm not sure how much tranny oil I lost, I better go check it now. Thanks for all of the info everybody!

Old 07-25-2016, 01:13 AM
hdbiker60
Novice

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
Tightening to proper torque usually fixes it.
So I need to remove the whole exhaust in order to use a torque-wrench on those bolts?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbiker60
So I need to remove the whole exhaust in order to use a torque-wrench on those bolts?
No, you can check the forum here for the correct size but cutting the end off a hex key and using that in a ring spanner will get you the room you need, or a screwdriver bit.

Last edited by IrishHogtrotter; 07-25-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Check your transmission exhaust hanger bolts