Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your transmission exhaust hanger bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Check your transmission exhaust hanger bolts

This is a public service announce ment: Check you bolts.

I had a little leak dripping off my oil plug, so thinking my o-ring was worn, I replaced it. In the process, I stripped the bolt, but that is another story. When I took the bike to the shop to have the pan checked, oil was dripping a lot, but not from the bolt. The mechanic knew what the problem was even before he looked, it was the two bottom bolts on the transmission cover that hold exhaust hanger. He said he checks every bike that comes in and most need the bolts tightened. So go check your bolts befoe the oil starts to leak.

Now I have to figure out how to clean the frame under the pan. Looks like I need a teeny weeny brush.

Beary

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my bolts back out and the vibration ended up cracking the exhaust hanger on my 02 RK. I checked my ulta a month ago and they were starting to back out as well, replaced with grade 8 bolts and lock washers. The allen bolts just have a flat washer. Put the blue lock tite on as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine leaked on my 2009 oncewhile it was fairly new. Never had a problem after that.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine leaked on my 2009 once while it was fairly new. Never had a problem after that.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Experienced the same thing on my '06 and on my brother's '09. The '09 just leaked a little, obvious trans fluid. The '06 actully had issues with the neutral light switch, becuasue the gearset was "floating" in the housing. Definately worth a check at the next maintenance interval, guess they count as critical fasteners.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to my 10 Ultra, now I snug them at each oil change. When I get around to replacing the header pipe, I will do a permanent fix (as mentioned above).

Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beary

Now I have to figure out how to clean the frame under the pan. Looks like I need a teeny weeny brush.

Beary
As far as cleaning the oil from the frame, after every oil change, I spray Greased Lightening for Garages (purple bottle) on the whole bottom of the bike, then give the bike a wash. You could also look at using some carb or brake cleaner, use the little tube to under there real good, then wash everything off.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

same thing happened on my 06 SG -- took me days to figure it out

Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine loosened up on a ride and was running out. Luckily we had the tool to get one of them good which held till I got home and was able to really get at it.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
This is a public service announce ment: Check you bolts.

I had a little leak dripping off my oil plug, so thinking my o-ring was worn, I replaced it. In the process, I stripped the bolt, but that is another story. When I took the bike to the shop to have the pan checked, oil was dripping a lot, but not from the bolt. The mechanic knew what the problem was even before he looked, it was the two bottom bolts on the transmission cover that hold exhaust hanger. He said he checks every bike that comes in and most need the bolts tightened. So go check your bolts befoe the oil starts to leak.

Beary
Hey Beary, could you clarify which bolt your reff to that if loose will cause a leak? Odd that a hanger bolt missing or loose would cause a leak, that would imply this bolt is threaded all the way thru to the fluid reservoir? that's a weird design flaw don't you think?

Quick Reply: Check your transmission exhaust hanger bolts