Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ipod mount idea...??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My ipod mount idea...??

Been kicking this around for a while, thought I would share the idea and see what you think.

Looked at ipod mounting options. In short, I think the ipod shuffle is a great idea for a bike:

1. Its cheap
2. It holds a days worth of music easily
3. simple controls
4. Holds a charge that should make it through any riding day.
5. You can stick a small plastic bag over it quickly in case of rain, and tuck it in your pocket if its a downpour.
6. the current model allows for playlists, which can be switched among using voice feedback though the speakers.

So, was thinking of grabbing some thin sheet metal, about a 2 inch scrap, and cutting/bending it into this shape:

The idea is to mount that using the upper switch housing screw on the clutch side, so it sits just above the left hand switch cluster. The shuffle then clips onto it.

Get a right angle mini-jack adaptor, and about a 3 foot audio cable. Also two additional mini-jacks, and a mini-jack female plug. Attach the right angle plug to one end of the cable, this end goes into the shuffle.

Run the audio cable down the bars (ziptie it down) down into the lower fairing cap.

Move one of the empty switch mount plugs (sorry Ultra owners) over to the right side of the fairing cap, roughly under the aux input on the radio. To this blank plug, fabricate and install the female audio jack, and attach it to the audio wire you ran down the bars. The idea is the wire runs from the ipod mounted up by the left switch housings, down the bars, into the lower fairing cap, and ends with a female audio jack that comes out right under the aux-in jack on the radio.

Then fabricate a 1 inch audio cable with male plugs at both ends, that you can plug into the jack on the lower fairing cap, and into the aux jack on the radio

The shuffle would then be mounted up by your left hand, where you can play, pause, jump tracks etc while keeping your hands almost on the bars. The cable would be neatly run down the bars into the lower faring cap, and the short cable would connect from there to the radio. When the shuffle is not attached, the mount is small and un-obtrusive. And if wanted, the short "jumper" audio cable could be removed from the radio/fairing cap.

Just something Ive been meaning to get around to doing, though I would seek opinions on the idea.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

mini jacks and mini plugs have a high failure rate- the fewer cables/connections you use, the more reliable it will be.

I use an ipod touch ( because I can get maps, direction etc).

It's in a clear faced holster clip to fairing pouch so I can read the display if needed

usually use the griffin line in cable with the mic and the radio end ( meant for iphone handsfree)-- it has the inline pause/play button which can also advance track or rewind to beginning. does the nano accept this type of control like the touch/iphone?

mike

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Troubleman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to over think it. I just velcro'd mine to the side of the front master cylinder. Clean and simple.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
keneds
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just velcro'd mine to the flat area to the left of the ignition / accessory switch where the toggle switch blanks are. 12" cord right to the stereo.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

But what fun would using Velcro be?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
But what fun would using Velcro be?

Could be a lot of fun

Attached Thumbnails My ipod mount idea...??-velcro_wall_1.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some 2 sided velcro around my gas door lid for my Iphone, then I use a retractable aux input cable. Works at just fine. I also modded my I phone to where the track forward button is down by the volume button on the outside of the Iphone, that way I don't ever look down at the screen.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you're over thinking it.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 AM
wulffe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks interesting. There's some satisfaction in fabbing something that ends up looking good. I will be interested in seeing pics of the finished product

Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 AM
IslandGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply have my ipod in a small leather/plastic case (water resistant?) with a strong belt clip. It's clipped to my clutch cable a couple of inches away from clutch lever. I have a 3 foot aux cable that is zip tied to the base of my bars, fed thru lower fairing, out right side and to the aux plug-quite clean, simple, no extra plugs or adapters and I simply pop the ipod out of the case when stopped, to prevent theft

Quick Reply: My ipod mount idea...??