Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED OR TUNER ? again

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the Xieds...OK but not what I was looking for, went with the TTS..awsome power and smoothness what a big diference !!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

See this web site Knightrider.com and it will explain what they do. As far as the increase in power I don't have an answer. I do known that there is no lag on the throttle when you hit it and my gas milage improved on long hauls. If you have some tech question call there number or email them. They are very helpful with any questions. Good luck and ride safe.....Jerry

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xieds

Installed the Xieds theother day and noticed a little improvement in throttle response, just seat of the pants opinion here. I have the Big Sucker Air Cleaner, Rinehart 4" Slip Ons, Catless Head Pipe and Stage One Download.
Do not plan to change anything, goes plenty fast for me and pulls strong when 2 up.
Just my opinion here.....

Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Have to agree with the pulls strong...two-up! That is were I see the difference. I just came back from a 200 mile solo and got 44.6 miles to the gal...Pretty good

Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
Had the Xieds...OK but not what I was looking for, went with the TTS..awsome power and smoothness what a big diference !!

Whats your setup?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Just a Big sucker, phytons and stage 1.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless there's been a change I'm unaware of, XIED's do absolutely nothing to improve performance. They are not a substitute for a good tuner. The only thing they do is limit how lean the ECM can go under cruise conditions and were designed to combat heat issues due to lean running while cruising.
I'm not slamming XIED's - they work exactly as they were designed and limit the lean running to a 13.8/1 AFR. It's just that there's far too many here that claim performance gains from a device that was never designed to improve performance and clearly doesn't.
To any of you contemplating real performance gains get a tuning device that fits your budget. There are many to choose from and all are good units.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

This isn't a new thread and perhaps it's a bit late to be piping in, but IEDs and their variants work only in closed-loop mode, which is from idle to around 60% throttle and about 3500 rpms. In that range, which is probably where most of us spend a majority of our time, they may provide some improvement in cooling and throttle response, but beyond this they don't influence performance at all.

On my bike I've run AFRs of 13.0-14.6 and don't feel any noticeable difference in either response nor head temperature, the latter running around 7° cooler at 13.5 vs. 14.6:1. This isn't enough to change oil temperature or radiated heat on my bike, but my oil cooler helps in this regard.

There is no effect on the open-loop region, which is from roll-on to WOT. So, if you make any changes beyond stock or perhaps a slip-on upgrade you will likely need a real tuner to tweak the configuration in that range. IED's do have a niche for those who want to keep their bike relatively stock and plan on making no changes like cams, head work, etc. I you have any such mods in your future, including probably only an AC upgrade, you should probably just buy a real tuner now.

OTOH some newer bikes are tuned rich from the factory at WOT. My '07 was set for 12.5:1, so I think there is enough leeway in the open-loop area to add slip-ons and an AC without a performance hit. I have not made any comparisons and this is just my guess, but I would think a bike with a Stage 1 would run fine with the stock tune, as even if it leans a bit you're likely at or very near the ideal AFR of 13.0:1. If anyone has made this observation from real experience I'd like to know about it.

Last edited by iclick; 10-06-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
EasyRiderInIraq
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my Screamin Eagle racing slip ons, Screamin Eagle Stage One air cleaner and Knightrider ViED wires on my '09 Ultra Classic and WOW. Not one bit of throttle hessitation or deceleration pop! I am very impressed with how simple and easy they were to install. Kudos Knightrider!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I was using XIEDs satisfactorily until I developed a pinging problem that got worse. I needed a way to adjust the timing as well as the fuel being delivered to the idle map. The PCV was $299 which is double what the XIEDs run with a very important difference; the ability to directly affect the timing tables as well as the idle fuel delivery commonly associated with decel popping to include every area of throttle positioning. You also do away with the 02 sensors that seemed too close together in my particular application to properly regulate fuel AFR's.
I should add that while I was using XIEDs, my plugs were still very white and although many say you cant go by that anymore it still worried me. After adding the PVC they looked tan/brown indicating to me proper fuel mixture burn. The performance difference was very little but I wasn't looking for any, just a resolution to my pinging problem.
I'm not endorsing either one or the other, I am outlining the difference between the two in my particular experience....individual results may vary.

Last edited by TUCCI; 10-04-2012 at 03:34 PM.