Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Ultra Cruise Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Ultra Cruise Issue

My cruise will not stay engaged. It was not working at all at one point, never light green, then it started working for awhile and I assume the gremlins had left. Today it's on for a second or so then drops.

When I first had the problem it was after the bike getting rained on very hard.

I have the service manual and I also downloaded another service manual of the Internet at one point. They don't exactly match which is another question all together.

The Service Manual talks about lash initialization. I have tried the process a couple of times but nothing happens. Light is suppose to go green but does not.

Then I have tried to pull off the 8 last dropped diagnostic codes (see below). Interesting this process is not in my paper Service Manual.

*******So here are my hunches. Please weigh in with your thoughts.******

1. Switch on handlebar got too much water on it and corroded Set/Resume contacts. Works sometimes and not others.

2. Some other short within wiring underneath front cowling. I traced out these prior and all seemed to be good to the cruise module. Maybe I get continuity from one point to another but while running vibration drops the connection.

3. Cruise module on the 'fritz'.

DROPOUT DIAGNOSTICS
The last eight diagnostic codes for cruise disengagement are stored in memory.
1. To enter the diagnostic mode, turn the engine off and proceed as follows:
a. Turn the fairing cap Cruise ON/OFF switch to OFF. The light in the rocker switch is extinguished to indi- cate this condition to the operator.
b. Push the Cruise SET/RESUME Switch on the right handlebar to SET and hold.
c. Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION, but do not start the engine.
d. Release the Cruise SET/RESUME Switch from the SET position while observing the behavior of the Cruise Enabled/Engaged Lamp on the tachometer gauge (speedometer on FLHRC models).
2. The system transmits the most recent cruise dropout code. Each dropout code consists of 3 digits and is sent out as a series of flashes.
3. The lamp will begin by flashing one or more times to indi- cate the first digit of the dropout code. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 1/4 second in duration. Simply
count the number of times the lamp flashes in order to retrieve the first digit of the dropout code.
4. Following transmission of the first digit, there is a one second pause in which the lamp is off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the dropout code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit. See Figure 6-5.
5. Following transmission of the second digit, there is a another one second pause in which the lamp is off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the third digit of the dropout code. Again, count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the third digit.
6. Write down the dropout code on a piece of paper. To identify the reason for cruise disengagement see Table 6-3. The last column of the table suggests the appropri- ate corrective action.
7. To verify the dropout code, toggle the Cruise SET/ RESUME Switch to RESUME. The transmission of the most recent dropout code is repeated. To continue with the next code, simply toggle the Cruise Switch to SET. All subsequent codes are sent in the same manner as the first, after which the operator may repeat the code or move on to the next in the series.
8. After the eighth (or oldest) dropout code is flashed, the Cruise Engaged Lamp remains illuminated to indicate that the end of the dropout code buffer has been reached.
9. To start the sequence at the beginning, that is, with transmission of the most recent dropout code, momentarily push the Cruise SET/RESUME Switch to SET.
10. To exit the diagnostic mode, turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to OFF.

<This didn't copy/paste well. The codes are the three digit numbers, 111 being the first code>
CODE
CONDITION
ACTION
NOTE
While performing instructions under applicable flow chart, wiggle con- nectors and wires to identify intermittents.
Initial State or Cleared Memory (No Codes Recorded)
-
Throttle Roll Off
6.11 CRUISE CHART G: THROTTLE SWITCH
Fairing Cap Cruise Switch Turned OFF
6.8 CRUISE CHART E: CRUISE ENABLE
Short in Wiring Between Set/Resume
6.4 CRUISE CHART A: INITIAL DIAGNOSTICS or 6.5 CRUISE CHART B: RESUME SWITCH
Application of Front or Rear Brakes
NOTE
May require inspection of brake levers or front brake light switch mounting.
6.9 CRUISE CHART F-1: BRAKE LIGHTS ON
Coast (S/C Button Engaged) Interval Longer than 6 Seconds
6.4 CRUISE CHART A: INITIAL DIAGNOSTICS
Speed Drops Below 30 MPH While in Coast (S/C Button Engaged)
6.4 CRUISE CHART A: INITIAL DIAGNOSTICS or 6.12 CRUISE CHART H: SPEEDOMETER INPUT
Speed Drops Below 26 MPH or Exceeds 90 MPH
6.12 CRUISE CHART H: SPEEDOMETER INPUT
Speed Drops 15 MPH Below Set Speed (Such as When Climbing a Steep Hill)
Speed Decreases Greater than 20 MPH per Second
Vehicle Speed Sensor Input
Over 5000 RPM
6.13 CRUISE CHART I: TACHOMETER INPUT
Loss of Tachometer Signal
High Rate of Change of RPM Detected
(Such as When Clutch is Pulled In or Contact is Made With Ice Patch or Slippery Surface)
Internal Failure
Replace cruise module. See the Touring Models Service Man- ual.
Low Voltage
6.7 CRUISE CHART D: CRUISE POWER
Internal Failure
Replace cruise module. See the Touring Models Service Manual.