Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions appreciated;(1)Xied's and pinging?(2)Wild Pig vs. Jackpots?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions appreciated;(1)Xied's and pinging?(2)Wild Pig vs. Jackpots?

So what do you say? Will the XIED's help get rid of the pinging? (Actually, FL-Vied's) How about the WildPig slip-ons compared to the Jackpot, DynoTuned slip-ons? If you have heard the two side by side, which do you like? I know judgement call, but would like some feedback before I plop down the cash. I.E.- sound quality, finish, easy to get along with on long extended trips? Too loud or not? Let me hear what you have to say. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

i have run jackpots dynotuned baffels and wildpigs1 3/4 inch baffels,sound close but i really liked the way the jackpots noise level was more controlable with the throttle,litte quieter with no load and screamed under a load. ied"s did help with pinging but on my 07(i think 07 and 08 were worse for ping) it was not enough to totally get rid of it.went to a pcv and it lost all ping ran a bit cooler and a whole lot better.both slip ons for me were a bit too loud for long road tripps,ive since went to a supertrapp 2-1 they make the best power for a quiet set up.and they weigh less.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

on my 09 I use XIEDs and they solved a problem with persistent ping under certain conditions ( 2800~3200 rpm up 6% grades) when completely stock. Once that was solved, I added my pipes and air cleaner of choice--- all is good.

in your case it depends on what the cause of the pinging is.
make sure you are using correct octane fuel, try another brand of fuel in case you corner gas station is ripping you off ( a chain of 38 stations in TX was recently fined for selling reg as premium for years). Try an octane boost if unsure.

Make sure you have no problem such as an intake leak.

aside from ping, the hidden problem is that if a motor senses pinging, it can retard timing to correct for it- and that robs power.

anyway xieds worked for me, and are an elegant solution.

Pipes? i always suggest you go to a bike night or dealer BBQ and see what you like.
You will not ever find a rider posting here saying that their chosen pipes are anything but the best ( and just hearing them will increase your chances of winning the lottery!)

I use supertrapp supermegs. tunable, loud or quiet depending on what the rider wants

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-29-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

u also didnt say what year,if u got a cat headpipe the slip on will be a little quiter.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser

Bike is the '11' Limited, bone stock except for cat removed, I did that right after I got the bike and found an extra headpipe. I agree with the differing fuels from some of the local stations. I expect they have begun using the winter additives as it (pinging) seems to have gotten worse lately. As far as the slip-ons, are they somewhat close, sound wise, to Cycle Shacks?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

I just replaced my PCIII (custom map D/L'd from another site) with Xieds and so far the bike seems to run much better with the Xieds. Having said that, I am not a performance nut and today was the first day of running the Xieds. The bike starts without revving to 2k cold, idles smoother and performance is about the same as the PCIII with the map I had. The real test is being stuck in traffic on a hot Texas day. I will see tonight on the ride home if I get any detonation. Also, no idea yet what mileage will be. I was getting 38-40 with the map I had. So far, I am sold on the Xieds but like I said, I am not into tweaking maps and trying to get the last little bit of performance on my bike. To be very honest, the only thing I like about FI is the fact the bike just starts right up with no fuss. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a carb'd bike, but hindsight is always 20/20...

Can't help with the slipons because I have never run any of the ones you mentioned.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Have shared this in previous posts. I put FL-Xieds on my bone stock 2010 StreetGlide last spring (March 2011). I have since put about 14K miles on the bike this summer. I can not tell any difference now than before without them. I am ASSUMING they are doing what they are advertised to do, ie. enrichen the AFR, and nothing more. I find no difference in gas milage. My bike runs great in COOL temps but when its hot here in New Mexico it pings, period. I run Chevron 91 as much as I can. The Xieds are a $100 partial solution to a problem that really costs a lot more to solve IMHO.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser

Appreciate the feedback; hey Sargek, would like to hear about your ride home this afternoon. Thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Ride home was good but I didn't get stuck in any traffic. It was about 91 or 92 so it was plenty hot. I did get a really slight bit of detonation but only once and in the "usual" spot I get it: when I roll off one freeway onto another and get on it to get speed up. The PCIII map I had also pinged slightly in this spot as well. Overall, I like the performance of the Xieds so far. Bike starts much better and doesn't seem to vibrate as much at idle - not sure why, maybe idle speed is slightly different or is more consistent? The idle semed to hunt around and vary about 100 rpms +/- with the PCIII but I need to ride the bike more over the next few days to see how consistent the idle is.

Happy so far.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Ride to work this morning was good - bike starts easily after letting the engine light go off: couldn't do this with the PCIII - if I waited for the light to go off, the bike would cough through the intake and not start the first try. Bike now starts cold and doesn't jump to 2k instantly - starts much lower, maybe 1500 to 1600 which doesn't make me cringe...

Idle and cruising sre smoother than with the PCIII, in my opinion, but I can feel there is a tad bit of power loss. Bike just doesn't feel as responsive as the last map I was running, but it's nothing to make me switch back. Very pleased overall so far with the Xied's - they work for my riding style and needs. No idea what mileage is yet...

Quick Reply: Opinions appreciated;(1)Xied's and pinging?(2)Wild Pig vs. Jackpots?