Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtraride extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xtraride extended warranty

Has anyone ever used this before? When I bought my Ultra a couple weeks ago I got the extended warranty and thought I was getting the HD extended warranty like I had on my 03 RKC. Well I got my stuff in the mail today and it is xtraride powersports extended warranty. I put in a call to the manager at the dealership to find out wtf this is but just wanted to see if anyone is or has used this warranty before I flip out on him when he calls me back.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM
skibum
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dealer near me is pushing that as I'm considering the extended warranty. The finance guy says that is what he has on his bike...says it's better than the HD warranty. For what it's worth, he said Harley no longer warranties the bikes, they sub it out to a third party (not Xtra Ride). Supposedly, Xtra has been in business since 1912.

How much did you pay for the warranty and for how many years?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Never heard of it. My card says "Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan" on it and has the bar and shield. And it's only a few weeks old.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

I paid $1400 for 5 years. On my 03 RKC I had the HD Warranty and it was good at least the two times I used it. It was direct from HD this one is from XtraridePoersports. I did a quick search and it looks like a lot of dealers are using it. When I had the one from HD it covered over 1100 parts and I had a brochure that detailed ever part that was covered. With this Xtraride I got a booklet that does not tell me crap most of it is a state breakdown and the penelties in each state for canceling the plan early... Not feeling good about this right now.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjpish
I paid $1400 for 5 years. On my 03 RKC I had the HD Warranty and it was good at least the two times I used it. It was direct from HD this one is from XtraridePoersports. I did a quick search and it looks like a lot of dealers are using it. When I had the one from HD it covered over 1100 parts and I had a brochure that detailed ever part that was covered. With this Xtraride I got a booklet that does not tell me crap most of it is a state breakdown and the penelties in each state for canceling the plan early... Not feeling good about this right now.
That's what I have. Got it when I got my bike, just under six weeks ago.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

Gonna need to look into this deeper...

Old 09-24-2011, 12:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

also look at the exclusions clauses.

extended warranties can determine that services must be done using their facilities, parts, brand supplies etc.
they can also forbid usual modifications such as pipes, air cleaner tuner.

it's the wild west out there

read that contract through, see if that is what you really wanted to buy.

and see what your State gives you for a time period to cancel the contract.

MANY 5 year warranties- time out in 5 years, but the first 2 are the factory warranty--- which means you are really paying for a 3 year plan.

when my bike was nearing warranty I found that the actual terms of contract were not easily available in advance of signing and paying up.
Historically we used to ride the bag off the bikes for the 1 year warranty period- then change pipes, air cleaner and tune the carbs.

a good extended warranty would be awesome, but the pitfalls are there--- and just what if the servicing company closes up shop- as so many auto 3rd party companies did--- only to reopen under a new name and start the scheme again.

BBB.com can be helpful researching these sellers.

remember your happy motorcycle dealer only looks as far as the next 1/4 and most don't think about growing and keeping a customer- they may tell you anything to make a sale--- not in writing, it don't matter.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

My 5yr extended is from Interstate National Dealer Services of Fl. $1166 for the contract, Ocala H-D didn't even mention the H-D Extended. Works out to about $11 a month

Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
MANY 5 year warranties- time out in 5 years, but the first 2 are the factory warranty--- which means you are really paying for a 3 year plan.

I think HD invented this, and probably use the extended warranty service to pay for warranty work during the first 2 years so the company themselves can save money.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is the link for Xtraride coverage..............

http://www.protectiveassetprotection...otorcycles.pdf

Quick Reply: Xtraride extended warranty